Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This’s Chandra Maniar from Mumbai (India). I’m new to winemaking. I’ve tried a batch of Apple wine and a couple of batches of Grapes. For my first batch of mead I ordered raw, unprocessed & unpasteurised honey. When it came I discovered it’s Mustard flavour. I’m not sure if Mead from Mustard flavoured honey would turn out good. Any advice from seasoned winemakers would be welcome.

@Chandra Maniar, assuming the honey is mustard flavored, your options are limited. One idea is to make a savory mead from it, adding other spices and herbs to complement the mustard. This type of mead is more likely to be consumed as an aperitif or used for cooking.

I make metheglin, mead with cinnamon, cloves, allspace, and similar spices. I'm not sure what I'd add to mustard, that will take some thought.

Like @winemaker81 I would think in the direction of a methglen (mead with spices) based on local curry flavors. What is considered “good taste“ is mainly what the local culture had when you were a child.
All cooking is blending flavors. ex I liked a tamarind curry from an Indian restaurant, and copied it based on local ingredients: apple concentrate (a sugar source) lemon/ lime (acids and fruit notes) ginger, cilantro and mushroom. And I could easily see mustard notes in this curry.
. I’m not sure if Mead from Mustard flavoured honey would turn out good.
What you are looking for is a balance between aroma, acids, sweet notes and tannin (bitter). For me the start is to play with the honey ingredient, 100ml of a dry white wine with 0.1 gm of test honey and then tasting with ingredients from the shelf.
Yes, the main risk is that you will put six months into the wine and not like the blend. ,,, Humans like novelty/ variety in foods so you also have a good chance of a winner.

Welcome to Wine Making Talk

One way I have tested various spice blends it to make tea from the spices and then sweeten it with honey. That gives me a chance to experiment with different proportions of spices in the tea to find a blend I like, then try it in a mead. Of course it won't taste exactly the same in a mead, but at least this gives me a starting point. You can call this "pre-ferment bench testing" if you like.

Whoa... Welcome to the group, Chandra. Is the honey made from a patch of mustard flowers collected by the bees or is the honey infused with mustard? These two are worlds apart. The flowers from which bees make honey rarely, if ever, taste anything like the fruit or seeds of those plants: Orange blossom honey tastes nothing like oranges and raspberry mead does not taste of raspberries. So, before you panic TASTE the honey. If the honey is not infused with mustard seeds and tastes delightful then you are home and dry but if your honey was infused with spicy mustard then this may not make a delicious mead... but it still could. Many people LOVE wines and meads made with hot peppers. Mustard isn't "hot" but it might make a delightful mead or, worse case, a lovely cooking wine

Back