Mead to back sweeten wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesGrape

Reaction score
I’m wondering if anyone has used mead (with the appropriate flavor profile) to back sweeten a wine?

An example of the same flavor profile of wine might be a berry DB that turns out a bit light in alcohol and berry flavor - then add a complimentary berry mead to boost the berry flavor, sweetness, and alcohol?

Or maybe that would be a blend? Maybe it’s better to work the adjustments separately for flavor and sweetness?

Or are meads and wines never blended?

What is your goal here ?
Why is your mead sweeter than your base wine ?
Will your base wine ferment the added sweetness ?
Is the sweeter mead sweet enough to make a differance, and how much mead will it take?
Ive never heard it mentioned before.

thanks for answering - I have no real goal other than experimenting and learning.

I’ve never heard it either. I wondered if this might offer a possibility of creating a unique blended product - and/or of improving the drink experience in case either the wine or the mead was considered lacking in some minor way. But it’s hard to wrap my head around the ifs and hows and what for.

I’ve never made mead and I thought it would naturally be sweeter than wine given the honey fermentable. Then I tried some and learned that’s not necessarily so. So I decided to start some mead and learn Something of what mead is really about. I made my own recipe for apple mead with what I had on hand.

Apple has been my favorite so far.
Those questions are just a sample of how my mind works.
My thoughts here are that for a wine or mead to be sweet there needs to be unfermented sugar.
If I add unfermented sugar to a wine it will ferment.
So I will need to stabilize.

Then depending on how sweet it is, how much will it take to affect my blend? Basicly the mead would need to be almost syrupy, to add sweetness without doubling volume. How much of each do I have/need.

Was the mead stabilized and back sweetened, or is it like a JOA and finished sweet. If back sweetened why not just sweeten new wine.

In a bench test what does this small test taste like. I added a tiny bit of joa (jjoes ancient orange) to a gallon of cranberryeine, that finished a little thin, and got a big schooling on how blending works. it was amazing. And was happened fast, it didnt last at all, still have folks ask for it.
Ive tried some other combos that are now in vinegar jars. Lol

Ive made enough mistakes to have taught myself to ask if this will turn out to be another credit towards my masters degree in proveing what doesn't work.
And still im on coarse to complete a PHD

“Ive made enough mistakes to have taught myself to ask if this will turn out to be another credit towards my masters degree in proveing what doesn't work.
And still im on coarse to complete a PHD”

Very well said :). I think I’m a freshman, lol.

Any idea what contributed to the yummy success vs. vinegar?

Latest posts

Back