Mead question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyR

Reaction score
Just got 13 lbs of raw wild flower honey and 1qt. of home made maple syrup. Plan on making some orange mead. Have made lots of grape wine over the years this will be a first for mead. My question is does anyone oak there mead.
Thanks. Tony's

Every mead we make gets at least a little touch of oak or even a bunch of it depending on the style. The more honey in the mead and the darker the honey I think takes more oak better. So if you were making a light orange blossum mead maybe just a touch, but if you got some dark wildflower honey and are step feeding to get a high alcohol level and pushing out plenty of honey aromas a good bit of oak can be tossed in, just as in winemaking though, too much and you can have plywood mead. WVMJ

Jack's advice is fairly right on. Although I do not necessarily Oak every mead, as some varietal honey flavors can be masked by oaking.

On a side not. We are opposite sides of the coin, I have made mead for decades, but only started making wine recently.

Oh, and neighbors Too.

Yes we are neighbors, that's neat. If you have any questions on wine making or grape growing just ask. 15/20 miles apart.

Latest posts

Back