Mead of the Month: January (Peppermint)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawgdrvr

Junior
Reaction score
Hi All,
I made a 1 gallon test batch last September , using Candy Canes . Yesterday I made enough for 6 gallons . I was going to use Candy Canes from the Dollar tree, but they were sold out . Luckily , Valentines day is just around the corner. I found an end cap with those little round peppermint candies . In 10. oz bags. These Peppermint candies don't have corn starch in them like the candy canes did , so i'm hoping it clears better than the 1 gal batch.

*10 - 10.oz bags of Coastal Bay Starlight Mints = 6.25 lbs of peppermint candies.
*8 lbs. Blackberry/Fire weed Honey
*3 Gal. (6) 64 oz. White Grape juice (Safeway brand)
*4 tsp yeast nutrient 2 now and 2 @ 1/3rd way through ferment (1.100-1.090)
*4 tsp yeast energizer ( same as above)
*2 pkt's Lalvin 71b-1122 yeast
*SG. 1.130
20190110_124136.jpg 20190110_124316.jpg
The Grape juice has Potassium Metabisulfite in it . so I am letting it sit for 24-48 hours . Then I will pitch the yeast.

I took four 64 oz. bottles of the White Grape juice in a pot . Brought it up to about 180* F. Then added the hard candies. Continually stirring so the candies didn't stick to the bottom and caramelize. ( it took me 45 min, a handful at a time. ) it's bright neon pink
I cooled it down to about 110*F . Added the other 2 bottles of juice and the Honey.
Poured it into a 6 Gal. bucket and filled with water to the 6 Gal mark. Stirred for 10 min. let it cool down to 85*F Then took the starting gravity reading .

Last edited:
UPDATE: I Waited 2 days ,pitched the yeast last night and this morning there was a slight smell of peppermint in my laundry room.

Latest posts

Back