Mead Call For Recipe Please - Your Favorite?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have at least 48 oz of honey on the shelf and I'm thinking I might rotate stock. Seems making mead is a great way to get rid of it. Never made mead before.
My question - If you were making only one batch what would it be? In other words, what's your favorite recipe?

I'm hoping and praying I stop with 1 batch. 😂

Oh that’s not going to happen at all…! I think you’re going to love mead…

I’ve made a few and the one I like the best so far is a Bochet (caramelize the honey before fermentation). That’s just me. There are a LOT of different kinds, blends, etc… I’m going to start a root beer mead this weekend thanks to @Ty520. Depending on the recipe and what’s in it, you’re going to have to use more nutrients in a stepped addition (TOSNA protocol). It depends what you’re looking for and like to drink, and when. There are quite a few folks here who craft mead so I’m sure you’re going to get some great ideas~

Can’t wait to see where you end up!

I have at least 48 oz of honey on the shelf and I'm thinking I might rotate stock. Seems making mead is a great way to get rid of it. Never made mead before.
My question - If you were making only one batch what would it be? In other words, what's your favorite recipe?

Yeah, no way, lol.

By the end of my first year i had 14 separate gallons in my closet at one stage or another.

I'd keep it simple at first. Traditionals first, then maybe move into melomels

I like metheglin, mead with spices. Last one was cinnamon, cloves, and allspice.

Dammit. Here we go again... Thanks a lot!
So now I guess I need to make a batch each of mead and metheglin and bochet and braggot and cyser and pyment and capsicumel and melomel and......probably making a trip to Costco in the big city next weekend.

Dammit. Here we go again... Thanks a lot!
So now I guess I need to make a batch each of mead and metheglin and bochet and braggot and cyser and pyment and capsicumel and melomel and......probably making a trip to Costco in the big city next weekend.
<SMH> STOP asking questions and this will not be a problem! :p

Here are my notes:

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/2018-metheglin-mead/

I would make a brouchet with an acidic berry as raspberry to add acid and fruity flavors.
I appreciate the line “you have never really been scalded till you have boiling honey on you.”
Was introduced to bochet in the vinters club a few years back, so have tried some. I cheat and look at safety . . .
View attachment 77729
. . . . a crock pot all day gives good control. . . HUMM,,, I should walk a case of mead down to the neighbor and ask how the hives are doing.

Semi related - been meaning to share this makeshift tool i came across while working on my root beer mead, and is great for metheglins in general:

A reusable coffee filter works great for removing spices that aren't in ground powder form.

Many mid level coffee makers come worth them now.

They're advertised as 20 micron, but since they aren't pieces of scientific equipment, they have a significant margin of tolerance... but still perfectly fine at filtering metheglins.

I want to wait a year (at least), maybe two (seeing that it's a mead), we'll see (not bloody likely!)
It's only a gallon so . . .

Mine is a cyser metheglin. 100% apple juice base with 5 spice, I'm hopeful, it sounds so good, maybe a holiday treat!
4 months out, hmm, waiting!

Last edited:
Mine is a cyser metheglin. 100% apple juice base with 5 spice, I'm hopeful, it sounds so good, maybe a holiday treat!
4 months out, hmm, waiting!
Because of the time frame it doesn't make sense to me to just do one. So far I've settled on a traditional, cyser (from my apples), bochet, and capsicumel since I'm a pepperhead. No big hurry so I haven't picked specific recipes yet.

This is just a test batch, I like to keep my mistake batches small, then tweak and expand.

Mmm, hot peppers, count me in on the pepper-head thing! Jalapenos, Serranos, and Cayenne are staples in my house,
and ALWAYS on hand in the freezer! I don't like the 'Blow your head off hot', but if I'm not sweating pretty good,
it needs more!

Back