Mead and Bentonite Mess

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margie James

Junior
Reaction score
I used bentonite in my mead, it worked wonderfully. I was racking the wine into bottles and my hand slipped and all the bentonite that settled at the bottom remixed back up in to a cloudy mess. It hasn't seemed to resettle again and it still cloudy after about 4 days so far. Is there a way to remedy this, or should it be left alone or thrown out. It doesn't look appetizing anymore. I'm so disappointed, but since I've never used bentonite before I have no idea what to do. I've tried searching for the answer, but can't seem to find an answer through searching the net. I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice. Thanks so much.

This is why most people rack to a clean carboy, then to the bottle.
It's not ruined, it will eventually settle back out. It's not clear to me whether you bottled already or not. If not, just wait and bottle later. If you did go ahead and bottle, you can either uncork and move the mead back to carboy and let it settle out, or just leave it and when you open each bottle do it carefully and decant the clear part off.

First, thank you so much for your reply. I literally searched for days trying to find an answer to my question, so I'm so grateful. I did actually rack to a clean carboy then added the bentonite. And after I put in the bentonite it was really clear! It is when I went to bottle it that I accidentally shook up the carboy and it re-suspended the bentonite. It's been more than a week and it has not resettled. It's more cloudy now that it was before I put in the bentonite, it is disappointing. I did refrigerate it thinking the cold would help it resettle, but as of yet, it has not. Do you think putting some sparkolloid in it would help, or any other suggestions? Or do you think it is just better to leave alone, and if so, how long do you think it will take to clear again? Again thank you for your reply!

What I meant was, you should probably rack again after the bentonite, before bottling.
I'd make sure the SO2 was adequate, then I'd just leave it alone, it will settle out. Then carefully rack once more, leaving the bentonite behind, then bottle.

I would try the Sparkalloid, I don't think it would hurt at all, but waiting works too. It depends on what you want to do, but I'm not sure how long it will take to clear without it.

Back