Maybe stupid question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’ve got 8 bottles of apple wine from 2014, it has turned to vinegar. I know I don’t want that crap in my wine making area but do I dump the contents, clean the bottles and continue or do I toss the 8 bottles in the trash?

2 things to consider,

1 I’m bottle poor right now (got 22 cases I haven’t even started cleaning yet)

2 these bottles were donated by a friend and they are Trader Joe’s bottles (little shorted, fatter, and thinner that normal bottles).

crushday

Grape juice artisan
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
got 22 cases I haven’t even started cleaning yet
Maybe it’s me, but isn’t that your problem? Depending on your consumption rate, it would take nearly 9 months to amass that many empty bottles drinking one bottle a day. Depending on how you store your dirties, you’re giving ample opportunity for bugs to grow.

Last edited:

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe it’s me, but isn’t that your problem? Depending on your consumption rate, it would take nearly 9 months to amass that many empty bottles drinking one bottle a day. Depending on how you store your dirties, you’re giving ample opportunity for bugs to grow.
Lol. I bought them used. And they are stored off site until I need them. All my bottles are scrubbed, cleaned with one step, and hit with kmeta. If I find anything that has mold or anything else growing in the bottle it just gets tossed.

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would think the bigger question is how /why the apple wine turned to vinegar.
cant answer that, maybe not vinegar, but definitely bad. I assumed that there was something left (not clear enough) that allowed it to develop. Out of a 750ml bottle about 1/3 was gelatin like.

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
THAT sounds like the mother.
That’s what worried me. It was a time when I was bottling way too soon and I guess something survived the fermentation process

Latest posts