Maybe able to get another batch this year

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xnke

Reaction score
Wow, this was a long time ago. Life has not been particularly kind...haven't had time to mess with the grapes much. I came here hand started a thread about how to make wine from the old fence grapes at my old house in August, 2013.

I did successfully finish up my first wine about July of 2014 and it received rave reviews. I racked it off twice, and let it settle out until I could read newsprint through a gallon jug, then bottled. I got 4 bottles of rocket fuel (I had topped off a bit with apple juice and forgot to account for the sugar!) that came out at 26.5% ABV, and 20 bottles that finished at 14.5% ABV. It was given away as gifts and as requested at friend's gatherings all 2015, and into 2016. I still have people asking for it, and I have to tell them it's all gone.

This year, I'll be moving the shop again and there may be enough room to plant a few rows of grapes again. I've taken some cuttings from the original vine, which was eventually determined to be Niagara, and hopefully they'll root and I'll have that option this year. In the meantime, I've attempted to root cuttings from the local university vinyards every year, so far only one has ever taken-I've got a container-ized Mars black table grape, that does "OK".

Does anyone else here make anything from their Niagara grapes?

I got 4 bottles of rocket fuel (I had topped off a bit with apple juice and forgot to account for the sugar!) that came out at 26.5% ABV, and 20 bottles that finished at 14.5% ABV.

Just out of curiosity, how did you figure on 26.5%? I don't think apple juice will increase your ABV, because it has less sugar density than grape juice from wine grapes.

Because I kept records of specific gravity before and after, and those four bottles never got dry, even with yeast that I tested to live up to 26.5% alcohol-that's when the yeast died in titration testing, and there was still some sugar in the wine. The 14.5% made it to 0.995-ish, but the rocket fuel never got below 1.010. That's pretty much it. Also, Niagara is rarely used for wine apparently, but it is what Welches' uses for white grape juice, I'm told!

Starting SG was 1.095 when I measured it, plus any sugars in the apple juice for the bottles that had that added.

Back