Maximizing Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granrey

Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Reaction score
So I recently got a 3 gal fast fermeter. So far it seems very handy. I have some questions about the yeast collection.

1) When I collect the yeast from the bottom at the end of primary fermentation. I assume there should be anough yeast to start anothet 3 gal batch. However, is there more to start another two batches of 1 gal each.

2) When I start fermentation on any batch and is going strong. Can I grab some of it to start anothet bach right away? liek grabbing some of the top cake material?

Yes.
1) in the beer manufacturing (and skeeter pee) world yeast are collected for use on a next batch
2) pulling yeast out of a GOOD fermentation is one of the techniques for starting high acid cranberry or mead, basically it is a starter
3) if modeling old technology, pre 1920 cake yeast technology, what you are suggesting was common

Be aware that all fermentation’s are mixed cultures. ,,,,, The yeast we buy just starts in a micro lab (sterilized media) and has a specification which gives them a contamination limit as ten bacteria per 1,000,000. Yeast is relatively cheap, ,, old posts on WMT will ask why bother? I would add that we are doing overkill with a five gram packet in a six gallon carboy, so to minimize the mixed culture fermentation why not use half a packet at the start?

Just be aware the yeast cake will have a bit of flavor and most likely color from the first fermentation. Unless you want the flavor of a dark red wine in your white wine, don't use a yeast that just fermented a strong flavored wine. Don't reuse yeast from blackberry for a dandelion wine unless that is your flavor/color desire.

If you are pitching soon after harvesting the yeast you will do best. I used to try to save beer and wine yeast but I often left it too long before making another batch. I would end up with jars and jars of washed yeast in the refrigerator.

Yes.
1) in the beer manufacturing (and skeeter pee) world yeast are collected for use on a next batch
2) pulling yeast out of a GOOD fermentation is one of the techniques for starting high acid cranberry or mead, basically it is a starter
3) if modeling old technology, pre 1920 cake yeast technology, what you are suggesting was common

Be aware that all fermentation’s are mixed cultures. ,,,,, The yeast we buy just starts in a micro lab (sterilized media) and has a specification which gives them a contamination limit as ten bacteria per 1,000,000. Yeast is relatively cheap, ,, old posts on WMT will ask why bother? I would add that we are doing overkill with a five gram packet in a six gallon carboy, so to minimize the mixed culture fermentation why not use half a packet at the start?
dang dude you never cease to amaze me,,,
Dawg

So I recently got a 3 gal fast fermeter. So far it seems very handy. I have some questions about the yeast collection.
can you post some photos? I am betting you have one of the new conical plastic fermentors with a mason jar on the bottom. I have looked at conicals at NorthernBrewing but do not know anyone who has first hand experience.

Back