Max alchohol level.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lethargy

Junior
Reaction score
hey, just a quick question, if i keep adding sugar to my must in the primary fermentor, will it reach a pint where the alchohol level is to high and they yest die of, or will it just keep fermenting till i run out of money to buy more sugar with?

hey, just a quick question, if i keep adding sugar to my must in the primary fermentor, will it reach a pint where the alchohol level is to high and they yest die of, or will it just keep fermenting till i run out of money to buy more sugar with?

Each yeast has it's own tolerance level to alcohol. Check out the yeast data for Lalvin:
http://www.lalvinyeast.com/strains.asp

Other brands have similar data avaiable for their yeasts.

hey, just a quick question, if i keep adding sugar to my must in the primary fermentor, will it reach a point where the alchohol level is too high and the yeast die, or will it just keep fermenting till i run out of money to buy more sugar with?

Hello...I HAVE missed this forum..teenagers are often similar in reply. My response incorporates my years of of dealing with 4 teens.. not my years of winemaking..

To the responses you have received so far, yes...the yeast will die if overloaded with either alcohol or sugar..you run out of either then bottle it..nothing will change.

Gxx

Hello...I HAVE missed this forum..teenagers are often similar in reply. My response incorporates my years of of dealing with 4 teens.. not my years of winemaking..

To the responses you have received so far, yes...the yeast will die if overloaded with either alcohol or sugar..you run out of either then bottle it..nothing will change.

Gxx

first off, im not a ruddy teenager, how many times do i have to say it.

secondly, i suspect my first attempt at brewing wine "fermented dry". im trying to avoid this by adding more sugar. is it wise to ferment it past 5 days, by adding more sugar or should i just wait the 5 days, then put it in the secondary?

There is little chance of getting to dry in 5 days, but it could happen. I have yeast with a 8% tolerance and yeast with a 21% tolerance. Reading the lavin yeast link will help. I have made rocket fuel and it never tastes all that great, except 1 ,Knock the Panties off Strawberry was great and high abv. I made a lot of crap wine figuring it out and that's what I love about science experiments:br
BTW I could care less how old you are, I have been making wine since I was 9

Let it ferment to dry, or at least below 1.010, then put it in your secondary without adding more sugar. Then just let it go dry, clear, then stabilize and sweeten "or f-pack" at the end. Then it will not be dry. If you keep adding sugar, it will keep fermenting till the yeast die. But that could be a very high abv and may taste pretty bad "rocket fuel". Somewhere on these forums is a chart to use to determine sweetness by using your hydrometer At the end. Hope this was more helpful than my first post. I was just joking because of how you worded your first post.

I would ferment it to dry - once fermentation is complete stabilize it by adding k-meta and sorbate in. Then you can add a simple syrup (2 parts sugar 1 part water or wine) to sweeten it up.

Let it ferment to dry, or at least below 1.010, then put it in your secondary without adding more sugar. Then just let it go dry, clear, then stabilize and sweeten "or f-pack" at the end. Then it will not be dry. If you keep adding sugar, it will keep fermenting till the yeast die. But that could be a very high abv and may taste pretty bad "rocket fuel". Somewhere on these forums is a chart to use to determine sweetness by using your hydrometer At the end. Hope this was more helpful than my first post. I was just joking because of how you worded your first post.

hmm. well in that case, i think ill put in the secondary tonight, though rocket fule sounds... fun, i kinda want taste of alchahol level. and yeah, i know im a sloppy righter, but i was trying to pinch off this post before i headed to the grocery store.

Latest posts

Back