Matching Yeast and Sugar amounts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovethepirk

Reaction score
So I have done a ton of reading on here and learned a lot. One thing I haven't heard discussed but maybe I haven't run into it is amount of yeast for whatever amount of must you are using.

I have searched google and here.

In a perfect world you would want there to be just enough yeast to dry the wine to your precise level. I think you should error on the side of too much yeast. That being said, I would suggest an amount of yeast JUST a bit over what would take it to your level of SG. Is there a formula out there?

I ask this because I am coming to the time in my wine that I have to end the fermentation and begin that last stages.

I have read that sorbate and K-meta will NOT stop a fermentation that is ongoing, but will stop refermentation.

Questions: Assuming we have added enough yeast to out last the sugar

1) Can the sorbate and kmeta stop the yeast late in the fermentation so you could stop a fermentation at 1.00 and have sweeter wine? I ask this because I would rather reduce the amount of yeast to get to this level.

2) How well does the sorbate and k-meta stop re-fermentation? If I add an f-pac to my wine is there a POSSIBILITY at all that the cork is going to pop?????

Thanks...
ltp

No matter how little yeast you start with, you will end up with a bunch of it. They're worse than rabbits!

Firmentation will only stop when alcohol gets to high for them, or they run out of food.

Sorbate will inhibit reproduction, but it won't stop firmentation. Your best bet is to firment dry, then sweeten to taste after stabalizing with sorbate.

The usual amount of yeast is one package to 5 gallons of wine. Yeast multiplies itself until there is no more food for it to consume, or the alcohol level gets high and kills the yeast strain.. .

Sorbate prevents the refermentation but only if the original fermentation has completed. SG needs to be checked to ensure it's done. To be sure, check over 3 days to ensure no change in the SG and add your sulphite and sorbate.. Add your fpac and leave the wine under airlock for bulk storage or even a week if you want to bottle it.. that way you will notice if there is any continued activity, there shouldn't be any regular activity.. even in bulk storage wine is subject to atmospheric pressure and heat and cold can cause a little expansion and contraction.. this is not the same as fermentation activity...

- different yeast strains are recommended for different wines.. we have a thread on various yeast types and the uses for them here..

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3554&highlight=yeast+types

Allie

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back