Masters or Associate Degree in Winemaking .... WMT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shurt1073

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ross: What have you been doing lately Scott?

Scott: This fall I started classes learning how to make wine

Ross: So you are going to college to get a degree and learn winemaking?

Scott: Well, sorta ...... I joined WineMakingTalk.com and the information is endless plus there is online help when you ask questions. Its like going to school because you take notes like you're in the classroom, and there is field work in your own wine room. There are guys who have been around for a long time sharing their knowledge like "professors", and of course guys like me are the "students".

Ross: Do you have a mascot?

Scott: Thats a good question .... I only started the fall and I'm not real active on all the forums because I don't have a lot to contribute. I'm learning but I don't think WMT has a football or basketball team. Most on line websites like WTM do not Ross. Are you stupid?

I did discover there are over 150 college wine programs in the World with various degrees. Do we have a mascot? Asking for a friend

It does bring up a real good point today regarding today’s educational opportunities. Historically, I’ve valued the traditional brick and mortar degrees from schools with good reputations and discounted the online “mail-in” degrees. Clearly that way of thinking is outdated. Having to go to a physical school may be outdated as having to go to the library to get a book.

Of course there is the absence of the social aspect of attending school, but I think from the pure education standpoint, what you can learn at little to no cost on-line (including wine making) is pretty incredible.

I‘d vote for ”Corky” as the mascot.

It does bring up a real good point today regarding today’s educational opportunities. Historically, I’ve valued the traditional brick and mortar degrees from schools with good reputations and discounted the online “mail-in” degrees. Clearly that way of thinking is outdated. Having to go to a physical school may be outdated as having to go to the library to get a book.

Of course there is the absence of the social aspect of attending school, but I think from the pure education standpoint, what you can learn at little to no cost on-line (including wine making) is pretty incredible.

I‘d vote for ”Corky” as the mascot.

And here as a retired university professor, I thought I added some value... 😅

Here's what most of you fail to realize ..... you guys are making a big impact in helping others like myself (students) with your previous posts plus answering questions. If I had not had encouragement from Bryan, my winemaking would continue with the same ole / same ole. I would not branch out and try other things. Keep up the good work! I ordered two FWK today and plan bigger and better things in 2023.

Here's what most of you fail to realize ..... you guys are making a big impact in helping others like myself (students) with your previous posts plus answering questions. If I had not had encouragement from Bryan, my winemaking would continue with the same ole / same ole. I would not branch out and try other things. Keep up the good work! I ordered two FWK today and plan bigger and better things in 2023.
There is certainly a treasure trove of knowledge here. I often read through things and get answers to questions I didn't know I had, then I start to look deeper and ask more questions. At the end of the day you have a completely different understanding of it all, and usually a new wine to make.

Wine.. The most simple yet stunningly complex thing in the world. Fermentable sugar, nutrients, fruit/grapes, water, yeast... + time = wine. Then there are the 30,000 variables with their own variables, and all the sciency stuff too. You only get bored if you stop looking deeper.

Don't cut yourself short though, Scott. I've watched your you tube video's and I bought my All In One accessories because it gave a first hand look at how convenient it is. I am not saying that I am out of the student realm, but we all have something to offer along the way.

Bryan once replied to one of my posts that he is constantly amazed how after so many years you can still learn from a brand new wine maker. That made me smile. A different perspective can be all it takes to walk down a new path of discovery.

One of these days I'm gonna drive down to Montana and get me a load of FWK kits, so I can get over this not available in Canada nonsense. It may require a WMT member acting as an enabler...

I will add that I learned more working in the wine industry than I would have at college for winemaking. I got a baptism by fire so to speak in winemaking I got in and did all of it including the rough cleaning and lab work and picking and etc. my experiences have made me a better winemaker and I can safely say that getting in for a harvest or 2 is way more valuable long term for your winemaking career as it opens the door for future employment wineries value experience more than a college degree and I can safely say that with my experience in the industry.

Latest posts

Back