Other Master Vintners Cabernet Sauvignon wine kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Moy

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all, i just purchase the Sommelier Select Old Vine Cabernet Sauvignon wine kit from Master Vintners. I would like to start making this wine asap and have a couple of questions that I need answers for before i start.

1. The kit comes with three oak packets..there are two bigger packages, one that is with light chips and one that is darker. I also was given a smaller packet of oak chips. Can I assume that the larger packets are American and French oak. Not sure what the smaller packet is but it may be Hungarian oak? The instructions say to add the oak to the secondary fermentation but am not sure if i should all all the oak from all packets or mix them and don't know how much to add..please help whoever my know.

2. The grape skins come in a 12 x 12 bag and has a lot of juice in it. Am I supposed to just screen off the skins into a cheese cloth and discard all the juice? Please advise.

Thanks for your help on this!
Dan

I am not a computer so don’t come after me if you don’t like my comments.

What do the instructions say?

Chips are typically used as sacrificial tannins for primary fermentation. I do not know, or have any feeling for why there are three different packets of chips. If the instructions say to add them all, then add them all. They don’t include extra chips just for the fun of it.

The skins and whatever juice comes with them should all go in the fermenting bucket. Many people put the skins into cheesecloth bags to make it easier to extract later.

Dan - Wow, you jumped in. Generally I'd start with a lower level kit to get the feel of things, but that is just me. By starting at the low end you can try different techniques without suffering financially if you screw up. With you being new you have to follow the instructions so that you will obtain a decent wine, that will encourage you to keep trying. Good luck and keep asking questions.

I found the instructions online and it indeed says to add the oak to secondary.

Typically, oak chips or shredded oak is used as sacrificial tannin in primary, and then oak cubes or staves are used in secondary and bulk aging. The secondary/bulk aging oak adds the flavor notes and complexity to emulate barrel aged wine.

But kits and their instructions are balanced, formulated, and tested so winemakers of any experience can make a successful batch of wine. Especially with a high-end kit like that, I would follow the instructions instead of trying to tweak anything.

As far as what kind of oak is included, you would need to contact the manufacturer if the packages aren't labeled.

Good luck and have fun fermenting!

Also, welcome to WMT!

Last edited:
I am not a computer so don’t come after me if you don’t like my comments.

What do the instructions say?

Chips are typically used as sacrificial tannins for primary fermentation. I do not know, or have any feeling for why there are three different packets of chips. If the instructions say to add them all, then add them all. They don’t include extra chips just for the fun of it.

The skins and whatever juice comes with them should all go in the fermenting bucket. Many people put the skins into cheesecloth bags to make it easier to extract later.
Bob, my apologies that I thought the last response was computer generated. Your reply just now was very helpful and feel more better about proceeding.

All the kits I've done with grape skins have included a muslin type bag to put them in.

Hello all, i just purchase the Sommelier Select Old Vine Cabernet Sauvignon wine kit from Master Vintners. I would like to start making this wine asap and have a couple of questions that I need answers for before i start.

1. The kit comes with three oak packets..there are two bigger packages, one that is with light chips and one that is darker. I also was given a smaller packet of oak chips. Can I assume that the larger packets are American and French oak. Not sure what the smaller packet is but it may be Hungarian oak? The instructions say to add the oak to the secondary fermentation but am not sure if i should all all the oak from all packets or mix them and don't know how much to add..please help whoever my know.

2. The grape skins come in a 12 x 12 bag and has a lot of juice in it. Am I supposed to just screen off the skins into a cheese cloth and discard all the juice? Please advise.

Thanks for your help on this!
Dan
Hi Dan, by now you have made your wine and hopefully it is resting waiting for bottling or placed in your rack waiting a couple of years before drinking. I wanted to point you to a wonderful source of information online, i.e. Scott Labs, better yet their winemaking handbook. While Scott Labs is in the business of selling the items they talk about in their book, they have excellent information regarding many options we have as wine makers at all stages of wine making. You can either elect to test their suggestions or pass on them all together. Scott Labs shares insight on using oak chips during first stage fermentation of wine making. The oak chips have become more common to use during first stage fermentation as they help to minimize harsh and astringent characteristics that can become prevalent when making a fruity wine (varietals known for high fruit characteristics). Oak can help minimize herbaceous note while amplifying fruit aromatics. Since it takes many years before the true quality of red wine is known, I run tests by splitting my batches, half as the control (my main recipe) and the other as the experiment with the various ideas. I then document my findings with that varietal and move forward to continue to push the envelope each time I make that varietal. Example, I was blending yeasts in 2010 long before it was suggested, so that I could create my own unique wine taste and aromatic. It has now become more common, and you will find this information in Scott Lab handbooks after 2020. Anyway, my point here is that feel free to become a true artist! It is great to gain insight from others. I still ask and I have been making wine for 20 years (I don't have time on my side to learn all these firsthand, especially when a red takes 3~4 years to reach maturity). So, my hat is off to you for reaching out! Also feel free to release the artist in you and push the envelope! (I do not work for Scott Labs! But I have much appreciation for them as they will take a call from a home wine maker! Happy Wine Making! Poirier's Cellar - Chuck

Latest posts

Back