Master Vintner Sommelier Select

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushday

grape juice artisan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Master Vintner Sommelier Select are 100% varietal kits? I’ve made a couple but both area bulk aging now in a carboy. I’ll be moving to a barrel in May and I’ll sneak a taste then.

Midwest has a 20% off with free shipping. That makes these $120 to my door. I’d buy again if 100% varietal.

George -

I believe that the MV kits are “box engineered” RJS kits. So, if you like RJS kits, and can get a better deal on MV, I’d say go for it.
This was definitely true with their LE2016 kits, which were simply re-boxed RJS RQ kits. I'm not certain about their current line up, it doesn't seem to directly match anything RJS currently offers.

They sound like Mosti Mondiale Renaissance Unlimited Edition kits. But that is just a guess.

They sound like Mosti Mondiale Renaissance Unlimited Edition kits. But that is just a guess.
I think you might be onto something here. Very similar, other than the inclusion of grape packs in certain varietals which could have been added when re-boxing. Has anyone purchased any of the MV Sommelier Select kits?

I've done the Sommelier Select Nebbiolo. It's only a few months old in the carboy still, but it's just sort of boring at this stage. Hoping it livens up a bit over time. This kit does not habe skins, however.

I've done the Sommelier Select Nebbiolo. It's only a few months old in the carboy still, but it's just sort of boring at this stage. Hoping it livens up a bit over time. This kit does not habe skins, however.
Have you made any Mosti kits? If so, are there any obvious similarities?

I haven't. Not even sure where to get them now that FVWs is closed
Me neither, I definitely miss FVW. I'm simply trying to narrow down the source of the Master Vintner kits. I can't imagine they're proprietary, likely just a re-packaged Vineco, RJS, or Mosti kit. If they are indeed Mosti kits, I'm hoping they incorporate the all juice kits into the line-up at some point.

Me neither, I definitely miss FVW. I'm simply trying to narrow down the source of the Master Vintner kits. I can't imagine they're proprietary, likely just a re-packaged Vineco, RJS, or Mosti kit. If they are indeed Mosti kits, I'm hoping they incorporate the all juice kits into the line-up at some point.
they are rebranded, honestly i buy cheaper kits cause the expensive ones havent really impressed me all that much and i can honestly make a better wine with additions and a cheaper kit.

It appears that Midwest Supplies has become the owner of Master Vintner products as any time Mastervintner.com is entered in the URL, Midwest's site comes up. During my first year of kit making, I tried a Sommelier Select kit. It was appropriately dubbed CR (Cost Reduction) as I was trying to make a great wine at a lower price point. It was... good, but not what the high-end kits provided.

It appears that Midwest Supplies has become the owner of Master Vintner products as any time Mastervintner.com is entered in the URL, Midwest's site comes up. During my first year of kit making, I tried a Sommelier Select kit. It was appropriately dubbed CR (Cost Reduction) as I was trying to make a great wine at a lower price point. It was... good, but not what the high-end kits provided.
I think they always were (and I'm pretty sure Midwest and Northern Brewer are owned by the same folks), but they eventually realized a dedicated master vintner site wasn't necessary.

Back