Other Master Vintner Kits?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elizajean

Gaining experience one carboy at a time....
Reaction score
I saw a recent post (Facebook) about these not needing Bentonite upfront like other kits and then read more in the post. The kits sound interesting and if one is to believe the author, of very good quality. Has anyone made these kits? If so, any whites you would recommend? Also, I see they are sold by Midwest supply and directly from Master Vinter...any reason to select one over the other? Thanks!

I just ordered MASTER VINTNER LIMITED EDITION 2016: LA VIE CABERNET SAUVIGNON. Expect arrival tomorrow. Concerned about the age, but Midwest has great price on it. Unfortunately I can’t comment on the quality yet.

Their Limited Edition kits look strikingly similar to 2017 RJS French Reatricted Quantities. Is this just a coincidence?

Their Limited Edition kits look strikingly similar to 2017 RJS French Reatricted Quantities. Is this just a coincidence?

Doubtful! I would not expect some company other than the ones we are familiar with randomly decided to jump into the kit winemaking biz with both feet.

Doubtful! I would not expect some company other than the ones we are familiar with randomly decided to jump into the kit winemaking biz with both feet.

I have thought that Master Vintners kits were just package engineered RJS kits for some time. It’s not necessarily a bad thing. I’d like to compare the two side by side and find out for sure.

I have thought that Master Vintners kits were just package engineered RJS kits for some time. It’s not necessarily a bad thing. I’d like to compare the two side by side and find out for sure.
I have also wondered about this since the Master Vintner website also sells RJS, and both are sold on Midwest Supply. There does seem to be some type of "relationship" there.

I am cutting my teeth on MV Limited Edition kits - I've done four this year and you will be very happy with the finished product. Every one starts out with prepping a Bentonite Solution before adding the juice. I have a RJS Restricted Quantity Tempranillo on advance order to expand my horizons and compare kit "styles".

I am cutting my teeth on MV Limited Edition kits - I've done four this year and you will be very happy with the finished product. Every one starts out with prepping a Bentonite Solution before adding the juice. I have a RJS Restricted Quantity Tempranillo on advance order to expand my horizons and compare kit "styles".
Yes, Trevor, my experience as well. However Tim Vandergrift just wrote a blog about how he does not include bentonite in his kits as they are so pure, they don't need them. Interesting read: https://www.midwestsupplies.com/tip...-cheese-coffee/wednesday-whine/bentonite-clay

Last edited:

Brian, I was discussing this video with Tim and he said there were a few early questions regarding what he did and to share:
"that in answer to some early questions, I fermented at 65F, so foaming was not really an issue, I let everything float free (no bags) and I did indeed sulfite, and adjusted it to 35 PPM FSO2 after racking to carboys. Didn't use any of the sorbate, however."

The Master Vintner LE's were RJ's RQ's in different packaging, so 18L kits. I couldn't tell you much about the standard Master Vintner kits.

Thanks Brian, the sale price and promo is tempting but shipping from MW supplies is a killer.
Interested in that Sauvignon Blanc....

I purchased all four RQ's last year. They're all currently bulk aging. Based upon early samples, and past experience with RQ's I'd recommend going for it, especially for the current price. Shipping to me is only $20 per kit which puts the whites at $110 and the reds at $120. Quite the fair deal on quality 18L kits.

@Brian55

The Sav Blanc Masters Vintners LE is about $112.89 at my door. Not bad, compared to the WE Eclipse Sauv Blanc NZ for $129.31

I've been wanting to make a good Sauv Blanc from New Zealand, but this french Sauv Blanc could be good, if you have time and can check on yours let me know and drop me some tasting notes so I make a decision.

@Brian55

The Sav Blanc Masters Vintners LE is about $112.89 at my door. Not bad, compared to the WE Eclipse Sauv Blanc NZ for $129.31

I've been wanting to make a good Sauv Blanc from New Zealand, but this french Sauv Blanc could be good, if you have time and can check on yours let me know and drop me some tasting notes so I make a decision.
It went into bulk aging just before thanksgiving. I don't have any tasting notes on it from that transfer. which is typical of me, unless it's either exceptional, or off. I recall it being "as expected" at that point.
My only concern with purchasing these clearance kits would be how quickly you'd be able to get them into a fermenter. They will be approaching a year old starting the beginning of 2018.

Latest posts

Back