Other Master Vintner Kits?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Cherie Merlot is on day 3 and developing a sour smell. Slight sulfur/egg smell, not bad but definitely noticeable. OG was 1.096, current SG 1.060. Everything was done by instructions - to the letter. Fermenting room is 68f, temp of must is 71f.

Recommendations?

Last edited:
Yes H2S, sulfur smell. Thanks for the correction I will edit my post for clarity. I used the included RC212. I have had this smell befor while using 212 and have fixed it with nutrients but thought that this kit should have all the necessary nutrients included, so I am reluctant to monkey with it.

That Cherie Merlot kits comes with RC-212 yeast.
A lot, if not all, of the kits I've made lately develop a bit of smell and I attribute that to stress in the yeast due to nutrients.

I don't really know why manufacturers don't add a small pack of yeast nutrient to kits...

That Cherie Merlot kits comes with RC-212 yeast.
A lot, if not all, of the kits I've made lately develop a bit of smell and I attribute that to stress in the yeast due to nutrients.

I don't really know why manufacturers don't add a small pack of yeast nutrient to kits...
Especially in premium kits, they should add yeast nutrient and skip the clarifiers.

The manufacturer provide all the components required to make this kit work .in my thinking provideing nutrient was not one of them so there shouldn't be any problem with the flow , however .The acidity ,pH and the quality of the base all contribute to the development of the wines structure.what I would do is splash racking and time in the carboy both should go away in a small amount of time.Take it from a guy who always tweaks if the kit didn't need it you wouldn't have . Maserations are not good for kits they are designed for quick turnaround in the making ,aging short and standard times. Just like the use of ec1118 the variables are keep at a minimum.Give it time and Don't be afraid to rake more than once.ok off my box.

Thanks, I added a small amount of DAP and Fermaid O before I read Joe’s post. I probably would have racked and waited otherwise. The good news is the must smells like roses again. Sweet and fruity, much better!! I know several of these MV Cherie Merlots have been started recently, wondering what others are experiencing?

Bumping the thread for advice on the MV Chardonnay. I started mine today as per instructions. D-47, OG 1.090

To oak or not to oak is the main question. And if yes, when and what type. I know it’s a personal decision but I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.

Please take this as coming from a noob as there are probably better ways... I did two of these kits last year, one per instructions and one with oak (I'm so happy to be taking such large leaps in experimentation! :r). I added french medium chips to the primary fermentation on one of these. Racked to secondary 10 days later so there was not a lot of exposure to the chips. One month after bottling, the wine did have an off-oak after taste, but this has been dissipating and now is tasting quite nice. I do like the un-oaked as well, and I am currently in the middle of MV Chard batch #3, and this too is a "follow-the-instructions" un-oaked wine. You'll be happy with the result regardless.

I'm considering adding an oak spiral but haven't been able to get one yet, closest retailer is about 30 miles each way.
I like oaked Chard, not a whole lot but like to have a hint taste of it.

First batch we added 1 pack of French Med+ Xoakers, it's still bulk aging on the oak. Second batch is still clearing, third is still in the box.

First batch we added 1 pack of French Med+ Xoakers, it's still bulk aging on the oak. Second batch is still clearing, third is still in the box.
Was that an 8 pack from Morewinemaking.com? That's gonna be a nice amount of oak, for sure. I did that to an all grape batch of Zinfandel I made a year and a half ago, it's a pretty healthy dose of oak!

Was that an 8 pack from Morewinemaking.com? That's gonna be a nice amount of oak, for sure. I did that to an all grape batch of Zinfandel I made a year and a half ago, it's a pretty healthy dose of oak!
Yep, all eight.

3 Chard kits?
I can see why Midwest supply ran out quickly... [emoji4]
One of them was the original RJ's R.Q. I also picked up a couple Merlots, plus I got the very last MV Cabernet midwest had in stock, the only reason I know it was the last one is because I tried to buy two. :i

I picked up a MV Chard, and I also ordered some Med+ oak cubes. I haven't decided yet. I like oaked Chard, and I liked unoaked Chard.... decisions decisions....

Next question is how to bring out the “buttery” taste in the Card? My wife likes Clos du Bois for that buttery taste/sensation.

Latest posts

Back