Other Master Vintner Kits?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I've read, the 18L kits are guaranteed to be good for about 1 year from the manufacturing date. Since these were released in Dec. 2016, anybody have a sense for how much longer these could safely sit on the shelf before starting them? It's a good buy, but I won't have any free carboys (or fermenting/storage space) for another 2-3 months.

One Chard was dated Jan 2017 while the other one was March 2017. My merlot also had a January date on it. This didn’t stop me from picking up one last Chard. I’ll just consider these dates (with one year added) “best by” dates.
As for carboys, pick up another one with the free shipping deal !

Last edited:
From what I've read, the 18L kits are guaranteed to be good for about 1 year from the manufacturing date. Since these were released in Dec. 2016, anybody have a sense for how much longer these could safely sit on the shelf before starting them? It's a good buy, but I won't have any free carboys (or fermenting/storage space) for another 2-3 months.
Just started a couple of M.V. Merlots with a Mfg. date of 1/17/17. One is in primary, the other is stabilizing. They're tasting, looking, and smelling as they should. The RJS R.Q. Merlot that I made back in 8/17 was manufactured on 1/18/17, a day later than the M.V.
I also have a couple M.V. Chardonnays waiting for the fermenter, with a Mfg. date of 1/9/17. I'm expecting similar results with those, but I'll post back in a couple weeks when I have one started.

Just started a couple of M.V. Merlots with a Mfg. date of 1/17/17. One is in primary, the other is stabilizing. They're tasting, looking, and smelling as they should. The RJS R.Q. Merlot that I made back in 8/17 was manufactured on 1/18/17, a day later than the M.V.
I also have a couple M.V. Chardonnays waiting for the fermenter, with a Mfg. date of 1/9/17. I'm expecting similar results with those, but I'll post back in a couple weeks when I have one started.

How much oak comes with the Chardonnay?

Forgot to ask, when did you make the Chard and was it good early on?

It really was drinkable when bottled. As a beginner, I had to taste frequently and most of it was gone by the 6 month mark.
January Chard started Mar 26, bottled May 20 - as this was my 2nd kit (first high-end), it was pretty much gone by the end of 2017.
March Chard started Sept 4th (with french oak chips added), bottled Nov 5. Still have most of these and I am developing patience.
The closeout Chard is due here next Tuesday.

Looks like the kits are further discounted per an email I just received. Coupon code happy + free shipping brings two kits door to door for a total of $119.

Note: coupon code is only for orders >$100

Last edited:
Bought a Chardonnay for a whopping total of $55.98 at my door...:br
The D47 yeast was a bit "expensive" over $2 for a packet when I'm used to 99 cents, but hey, no complain at all...:db

If you follow the instructions on cheap wine m as making kit you'll come out with a decent cheap product,notg nothing more than that.

Sometime it's not how much you produce it's the net results of your endever...with Carol's 6 kits that she has sent me ,they will all come out decent for her palate and that's fine she's happy and it fits her budget.inexpensiive wine kits are easy and fun.

If you follow the instructions on cheap wine m as making kit you'll come out with a decent cheap product,notg nothing more than that.

Joe, the reason we're getting these kits so cheap is not because they're cheap but rather because they're about a year old and the vendor wants to move them out and deeply discounted them and even added free shipping.

These are limited edition kits with 18L of juice and grape pack for the reds, they usually run in the $150 range from this vendor.

Using raw products as a base takes a bit more chemistry , time and materials started with grapes moved on to juice then kits stay with kits more fun.yoi can always add grapes

Back