Other Master Vintner Kits?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an FYI... The Chard is an un-oaked kit. I bought some cubes to add to my 2nd batch.

I'm debating doing the Chardonnay but splitting the batch into two 3 gal fermenters, one per instructions and the other with oak cubes. How many cubes would you think be good for the 3 gal? Also, how long would you advise keeping the oak in secondary?

I only made a Chard from grapes one time and it was barrel fermented. I guess it all depends on how much oak you want in it, couple weeks doesn't sound bad for my taste.

The instructions for this call to rack around 1.020 and leave sediment behind.
Then rack after a few days when below 0.998 and again to leave sediment behind.

The WE kits instructions call to stir up the sediment on the 2nd rack when adding kmeta, sorbate and fining agents because that sediment is important for the clearing process.

This now got me wondering if I should follow WE instructions instead and don’t rack sediment now that I’m ready to add chems.....

What did you guys do?

The instructions for this call to rack around 1.020 and leave sediment behind.
Then rack after a few days when below 0.998 and again to leave sediment behind.

The WE kits instructions call to stir up the sediment on the 2nd rack when adding kmeta, sorbate and fining agents because that sediment is important for the clearing process.

This now got me wondering if I should follow WE instructions instead and don’t rack sediment now that I’m ready to add chems.....

What did you guys do?

This might sound counter intuitive to my gender, but I try to follow the directions provided with the kit I'm making. :db

Last edited:
Received mine today. Everything is unpacked in the wine room to get the temp of the juice bag up. The kit has the same sense to it as the RJS RQ French Merlot. They skimped on the oak. And, the instruction sheet is about 1/4 the size and detail. But, otherwise it's pretty much the same.

Will get this on rolling on an extended maceration in Early February.

My MV LE16 Cherie Merlot arrived this afternoon.

Never bought a red wine kit with so much juice, the juice bag is big.

I don’t see the grape pack and assume it is in the bottom under the juice bag...

My MV LE16 Cherie Merlot arrived this afternoon.

Never bought a red wine kit with so much juice, the juice bag is big.

I don’t see the grape pack and assume it is in the bottom under the juice bag...
And yet it's still 5 liters short of a Mosti all juice kit. Those juice bags are a two person job to get them poured into the fermenter.

Started this Merlot, first time making a kit with dried skins.
Although different badge on the box, we all know these are RJS.

RJS seem to show a higher quality than other kit manufacturers and this is truly a 18-liter kit, only used 5 liters of water, compared to other red wine kits from WE or Vineco which only bring16 liters.

Started this Merlot, first time making a kit with dried skins.
Although different badge on the box, we all know these are RJS.

RJS seem to show a higher quality than other kit manufacturers and this is truly a 18-liter kit, only used 5 liters of water, compared to other red wine kits from WE or Vineco which only bring16 liters.

Most of my kits have been WE Eclipse, so I can't make a general comparison. But, the RJS RQ's I got this year are probably the best quality kits I've gotten.

I poured the dried skins last night and this morning stirred all really well, then pitched RC-212 plus the oak chips.
At first I was hesitating to put the oak chips thinking they may clog up when racking, but then added to the must.

Dried skins seem that will add tannins and structure, not much sugar, SG didn't really change from last night at ~1.1006

I'd have preferred oak dust instead.

I poured the dried skins last night and this morning stirred all really well, then pitched RC-212 plus the oak chips.
At first I was hesitating to put the oak chips thinking they may clog up when racking, but then added to the must.

Dried skins seem that will add tannins and structure, not much sugar, SG didn't really change from last night at ~1.1006

I'd have preferred oak dust instead.

That's a good number for a starting gravity.

Do you think the 45-60 grams of oak chips is enough? I have some left over French medium toast chips in my inventory I can toss in there if needed.

I think I prefer oak dust in primary, hands down. Then oak spiral or cubes in bulk aging.
To your question, I’d use what came in the kit and add a bit more if available.

Love the name 'Master Vintner', but we don’t have this product available up north here (Canada).

I am a fan of the Original All Juice from Mosti Mondiale (23 L), they do not have any bentonite in their kits either. Are there any other manufacturer that do not have bentonite in their kits? As I do not use the 10 L, I do not know if they do the same with all their products.

Love the name 'Master Vintner', but we don’t have this product available up north here (Canada).

I am a fan of the Original All Juice from Mosti Mondiale (23 L), they do not have any bentonite in their kits either. Are there any other manufacturer that do not have bentonite in their kits? As I do not use the 10 L, I do not know if they do the same with all their products.
I believe Northern Brewer juat opened a Canadian presence. They represent the Master Vintner brand.

Latest posts

Back