Other Master Vintner Kits?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the MV LE Jolie Sauvignon Blanc this afternoon.
It came with D47 and here's some notes about D47 on this varietal:

ICV-D47: Complex white with citrus and floral notes. Lees contact gives ripe spicy aromas with tropical and citrus tones developing. Adds volume/mouthfeel. Barrel fermentation and lees aging recommended. Good single-strain or as a blending component.

Hmmm, sounds like the extended maceration process, wondering if I should not rack it off the gross lees and leave it in air locked carboy after AF is done, for an extended period of time....

Started the Sauv Blanc, SG 1.100

Only used 1gal of spring water plus a little more, not even 1/4 of a gallon, these kits definitely bring 18L of juice or a bit more, better than other manufacturers.
Used the D47 that came with it.

I just got my boxes . Are you going to do the extended maceration?

There you go. Surprised there was not more oak.

Also surprised not more oak. Planning on adding spiral to secondary.

Did you get one or two packages of dried grape skins? Your picture shows one but mine came with two...

Did you get one or two packages of dried grape skins? Your picture shows one but mine came with two...
Sometimes they hide the dried skins underneath the bag of juice.

Thanks for telling me that! I just double checked and found a second pack on the side. I wonder if somebody put it in as an afterthought.

Missed the 20% off coupon but pulled trigger on Merlot - too good to pass up. Thanks for the heads up on pricing!
I just did the same thing, but threw some pH meter storage solution in there to get to the $99 to qualify for 20% off. It didn't qualify for free shipping, but picking up the Cherie Merlot for $64? How could I say no?

I'll probably do the extended maceration on this one, and add some oak cubes in the finish. Then, we can compare it to the RJS RQ French Merlot in a year or two.

I just did the same thing, but threw some pH meter storage solution in there to get to the $99 to qualify for 20% off. It didn't qualify for free shipping, but picking up the Cherie Merlot for $64? How could I say no?

I'll probably do the extended maceration on this one, and add some oak cubes in the finish. Then, we can compare it to the RJS RQ French Merlot in a year or two.

The only thing I don't like is their shipping cost, the cheapest being UPS Ground is $33 :d
I know these kits weight about 50lbs, but I'm sure UPS Ground does not cost this much...

The only thing I don't like is their shipping cost, the cheapest being UPS Ground is $33 :d
I know these kits weight about 50lbs, but I'm sure UPS Ground does not cost this much...
FYI, a UPS Ground package @ 50 lbs from Minneapolis to Harford (I picked the middle of the State) is quoted at $77+. I know they get special rates because they are a business and do a large volume of shipping, so $33 isn't all that bad. I pay $19 FedEx ground from Labelpeelers to me, and is shows up next day (so only 1 day travel) whereas your package takes 4 days.

You could always move closer, like maybe down in the area that Bill lives?

Edit: for the same weight package, FedEx ground is $69, and it takes 4 days.

Last edited:
Shipping for my last order from LP was $17. The Cheri Merlot from MWS was about $30. I usually have some bonus $$ from LP, too that eats up most or all of the shipping costs.

With Midwest, I ordered up an additional $20 in merch to get a 20% discount. It made the shipping costs better. But, still...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back