Master Vintner kit siphon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm using my first wine kit and have always had issues getting the siphon going. How do I know if I have a defective one? I've watched the Master Vinter (by Wine Authority) video of him bottle siphoning and he seems to just jiggle and lightly pump a couple of times and it siphons great. I do have bottles below the carboy, so that's not the issue. I have to really raise and lower the siphon rod quite a bit to get it going, and then it flows extremely slow. And because I have to raise the rod so high the bottling tube pulls out of the bottle. This shouldn't be this difficult, should it?

Here is what I often do (mostly to solve a different problem). I hold the autosiphon above the carboy, then lower ONLY the outer tube into the carboy, holding the inner plunger out of the carboy. The result is a tube full of wine, with the "plunger" extended. Then I push the plunger down while feeding the outlet tube into the receiving vessel.

Latest posts

Back