Master Vintner kit siphon

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Reaction score
I'm using my first wine kit and have always had issues getting the siphon going. How do I know if I have a defective one? I've watched the Master Vinter (by Wine Authority) video of him bottle siphoning and he seems to just jiggle and lightly pump a couple of times and it siphons great. I do have bottles below the carboy, so that's not the issue. I have to really raise and lower the siphon rod quite a bit to get it going, and then it flows extremely slow. And because I have to raise the rod so high the bottling tube pulls out of the bottle. This shouldn't be this difficult, should it?

crushday

Grape juice artisan
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you have an air leak somewhere in your string. As long as the source is higher in elevation, even by a little bit, it should work as long as suction can occur.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
Here is what I often do (mostly to solve a different problem). I hold the autosiphon above the carboy, then lower ONLY the outer tube into the carboy, holding the inner plunger out of the carboy. The result is a tube full of wine, with the "plunger" extended. Then I push the plunger down while feeding the outlet tube into the receiving vessel.