Marquette versus Frontenac

Discussion in 'Grape Growing & Vineyard Forum' started by StevenD55, Dec 6, 2015.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Jun 11, 2019 #41

wood1954

wood1954

wood1954

My Marquette are 4 years old now, last winter we had minus 25 for a few days, lost two weak plants and some minor stem damage but the rest of the plants are great. They waited till a day after our usual last frost date to bud out so didn’t have any frost damage. The last 2 years I’ve been buying my Marquette grapes from a vineyard south of Madison the wine is very good although they start picking when the acid is still too high. This year with my grapes I’ll wait till the acid begins to drop before I pick.

2. Jun 11, 2019 #42

montanarick

montanarick

montanarick

Sorry to hear about your Marquette. I'm in Montana just South of Kalispell and my Marquette's seem to be doing just fine - 5th year

3. Jun 12, 2019 #43

Rice_Guy

Rice_Guy

Rice_Guy

The rabbits in winter have been more of an issue than growing space, my set up is spaced with 2 passes of a riding lawnmower(8 ft x 8 ft). Redoing varieties also let me rethink about vine spacing since Frontenac grows wild and I have an acre to play with. As masbustelo noted it is a process and sooner is better than later.
    Marquette survived in SunPrairie 2018-9 and seems to be less buggy than petite pearl or Frontenac. Have wondered what the real cultural problems are on crimson pearl and last years Verona but haven’t broken down and ordered em yet. ! ! So many choices, , , wine takes so long ! !

4. Jun 13, 2019 #44

HillPeople

HillPeople

HillPeople

After 6 years, I'd choose Frontenac over Marquette- both in the vineyard and winery.

5. Jun 14, 2019 #45

Masbustelo

Masbustelo

Masbustelo

Rice_Guy mentioned Verona. I have Verona, this is their third year, first fruiting year. They have grown very nicely for me, handled minus 32 last winter with no problems. The vines are tidy, easy to train, downward trailing and vigorous, but not overly so. Dell Schott said they handled minus 40 in Minnesota with no problems. This will be the first harvest, raccoons willing. I have them on GDC.

Rice_Guy likes this.
  6. Jun 14, 2019 #46

HillPeople

HillPeople

HillPeople

Yes- there are people in this latitude who have had great success with Verona, but I have none.

7. Jun 17, 2019 #47

GreginND

GreginND

GreginND

Super Moderator Super Moderator

I know that Dell lost his Marquette and Crimson Pearl this past winter. I don't know how his Verona fared.

8. Jun 17, 2019 #48

Masbustelo

Masbustelo

Masbustelo

Here is what Dell had to say about Verona. "After brutal winter our Verona are doing well also. Many other varieties got severe damage in MN. Some vineyards hit -40F during the polar vortex".

Rice_Guy likes this.
  9. Jun 30, 2019 #49

treesaver

treesaver

treesaver

wino

My verona suffered the spraying incident last spring, and lost nearly half. There have been a few vines that have come back out at grround level, but are starting over again! When I pruned this spring, they still had green wood, same with my concord and cataba, butdidn't lose as big of percentage of them as I did my verona. This would have been the first year to get a few grapes off of them, but alas, I'm not going to have enough to do anything with.