Marquette veraision

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One marquette vine is starting to turn for me in southern WI 20190731_202246.jpg

Petite pearl vines are still super green

Yes, very vigorous too. I bought an owl with the bobbing head and it scares them straight. When I mounted it, I thought to myself that a small wind vane would help the head move. Then it dawned on me that there was a clear piece of plastic I found inside the body. And wouldn't you know it, it just happened to fit into a small slot on the back of the owls head. Now its head will turn with the slightest breeze. Gives it a life like appearance and the birds keep their distance.

DSCN3781.JPG

I had to deploy my local "air force" this AM. I found two young Spotted Towhee's raiding the few berries that had turned. I blasted them with high power water and they just laughed at me. Then I put up the boys and suddenly they left neighborhood post haste......

View attachment 55695
You don't need net?

I do both, but the birds sometimes can peck the grapes through the mess. This is just added insurance.

I am a big believer in backing up the net with scare device. I use scare tape instead of fake owls, but the idea is the same: scare them off before they have time to ponder how to get inside the net. Last year, only coons and possum got inside the nets to cause any real harm.

I might add some owls if they work that well. The scare tape is pretty good if there is some breeze, but a backup for calm days would be nice.

H

20190818-123853.jpg

Cannot wait any longer, bugs are swarming in. Average Brix: 25, PH: 3.2

Marquette is red fruit profile, right? It is a relative of Pinot Noir.
So, is it better to oak it or not oak it? Your thought?

Here in SW Ontario (near Woodstock) veraison starts on Marquette the first week in August. That is when I do summer pruning and net all the vines or the birds will take most of the crop. We are about 4 weeks behind the DC area in terms of the arrival of Spring.

Latest posts

Back