Marquette tannins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody growing Marquette grapes have any feedback on tannin levels in their wine? This year my wine did a fast ferment and I pressed on day 7. There was almost no tannin feel when I tasted it. If you have the same issue what do you do to add tannin.

Anybody growing Marquette grapes have any feedback on tannin levels in their wine? This year my wine did a fast ferment and I pressed on day 7. There was almost no tannin feel when I tasted it. If you have the same issue what do you do to add tannin.
I'm going to add French Oak Chips to the Marquette that I pressed and is in carboys this year. But Not until I rack a couple more times. Lots of stuff is still falling out. There is a vineyard winery nearby, that puts their Marquette wine in neutral French Oak barrels for only several months then filter and bottle and sell. They want the Marquette fruit profile, not the tannins. They sell out every year.

I've blended my 2019 Marquette with Petite Verdot about 90:10 to fill a barrel and add some tannin. Will bottle in a couple of months. So far I'm pretty happy with the combo. The PV adds some nice tannins

We grow Marquette and I love it, but it is definitely low in tannin. We're still dialing in our Marquette recipe so I'm not sure I have a definitive answer for you yet, but my overall impression is to let it be itself. Don't try to make it into something it isn't. The first few years we made Marquette with no oak at all. It actually sold very well, but I'm starting to think that was a little extreme. I'm currently thinking that limited barrel time is the key. Like maybe a month or two, tops, depending on the age and condition of your barrel. It is also very nice when blended with Petite Pearl, which grows under similar conditions but has a lot more tannin.

Using bentonite to remove proteins will help extract tannin in Marquette. You can extract juice and treat it separately then add back to must. this year i'm trying to add bentonote directly to must prior to primary. it settles pretty well with gross lees after pressing grapes. also addition of tannins to must helps as well - need up to 4 times amount recommended for vinifera. I also add oak cubes after primary and through MLF.

Thanks everyone for replying I was thinking of planting some crimson pearl next year to blend with Marquette if I can find a sourc, that’s the long term plan, this year I’m going to try different tannins and barrel aging.

I have never had much luck with increasing tannin levels in Marquette by adding tannin at fermentation. However, after the second racking, I add a mixture of tannins (Querplus, Tanin VR Color, Quertanin Sweet) and have had good success. Also, I let the wine sit on oak chips (French Oak Nobile Sweet) for about a month after cold stabilization. Both these adjustments seem to improve tannin levels and give a more rounded wine.

Latest posts

Back