Marquette juice bucket

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjie

Junior
Reaction score
I live in central Illinois and I am planting a number of different varieties of red and white grapes to see what grows well on my farm and what tastes good to me. Of course it will be a few years before harvest. I found a site that sells 5 gallon buckets of Marquette and Traminette, as well as others and I thought I would order some to see how these varieties turn out. My question is if anyone has had any experience dealing with Walkers wine juice. They heat up the bucket and seal it hot to preserve it. They have a number of varieties not normally seen in wine kits.

Walkers has been mentioned quite a bit before, you can do a search on the forum for them. I am not sure there is a bad review, other than the shipping cost. Anything not a concentrate is high. I have wanted to get some of the hybrid juices to try before planting, but have not yet. Walkers is generally quite responsive, though there is a younger person who takes a bit of back-and-forth to get a decent answer. Everyone else has been fine.

Walkers has been mentioned quite a bit before, you can do a search on the forum for them.

Thanks, I did find several posts.

I bought a blueberry Hot Pack from them. I had questions along the way and was able to get timely help from them with a phone call. The blueberry wine from their juice is excellent. I'm in Northern Illinois and would be interested to hear how your vineyard project progresses.

Walkers has been mentioned quite a bit before, you can do a search on the forum for them.

Thanks, I did find several posts.

I'm carpet bombing to see what grows best here
Reds: Marechal Foch, Noiret, Corot Noir, Marquette for wine, and Faith, joy, Thomcord and Vanessa for table grapes.
Whites: Vidal Blanc, Traminette, La Crosse, La Crescent, Seyval Blanc and Itasca.

Walker's has several of these varieties for sale that I am looking forward to trying. Traminette and Marquette for starters.

I did the same as you with testing varieties. I planted 10 different varieties in my first planting and I added about 3 more the next year. Now after three years I’m satisfied with the four whites I choose, Vidal, Traminette, Chsrdonel and Cayuga. Of the reds, I’ve only settled on Chelois and probably Chambourcin. I have Baco Noir, Foch and Marquette but no crop yet so still working that out.
People made fun of me for planting so many varieties but with late Spring frosts and freezes, I have been completely vindicated.
I’m testing vinifera but the late frosts/freezes have been a hinderance.
I’m trying table grapes this coming Spring. Marquis,Vanessa and Thomcord.
I’d love to try some juice buckets of my hybrids but shipping costs have been my stumbling block. COVID has prevented road trips so I’m going to have to wait for harvest.

I planted 10 different varieties in my first planting and I added about 3 more the next year. Now after three years I’m satisfied with the four whites I choose, Vidal, Traminette, Chsrdonel and Cayuga. Of the reds, I’ve only settled on Chelois and probably Chambourcin. I have Baco Noir, Foch and Marquette but no crop yet so still working that out.
Some years back I toured a large number of VA wineries. The wineries trumpeted their Vinifera, but the Chambourcin were the best wines in each one. You're at a higher elevation, but based upon that experience, I'll be surprised if Chambourcin doesn't turn out well.

People made fun of me for planting so many varieties but with late Spring frosts and freezes, I have been completely vindicated.
Good! The reports from others are a good starting point, but practical experience is often required.

So far it looks like I will have a decent harvest...if the fungi, critters and weather cooperate. The Chambourcin vines are loaded. I probably need to drop fruit. What a heartbreaking task.

So far it looks like I will have a decent harvest...if the fungi, critters and weather cooperate. The Chambourcin vines are loaded. I probably need to drop fruit. What a heartbreaking task.
I know, I was tying up my vines today and visualizing all the flowers and shoots I have to get rid of. It hurts but will make better wine.

Latest posts

Back