Marking Carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
We had a house full of people for Thanksgiving and I had been looking for some decent "tags" for glasses so people would feel safe putting their drink down without getting it confused with someone else's wine. Most of what I found was tacky, quite frankly. But I did end up finding some pens marketed by Wine Spectator that simply write on glass and wash off with water and a very light scrubbing (a damp paper towel actually works). They worked great, and everyone cound mark their glass in their very own way. It turned out to be kinda fun actually. OK, to the point: my carboy collection has been growing, and I've been simply keeping them in different areas of the basement to not get them confused. It occured to me the other day that I can use the pens I got over Thanksgiving. Perfect! Carboys marked. I've been looking for white "china markers" in local stores, but actually can't find any.

Just one more thing we can use to identify what's in our carboys - thought I'd share.

We picked up a set of those also this past fall. I have one in the cellar. I was curious if the Silver and Gold Sharpies were the same thing. They market them as an oil based marker. Could be and if so they are a little cheaper. Paint markers basically that will wipe off with a little help.

I keep a 3x5 index card taped to my carboys so I can keep notes, but there have been times where I have taken two off (or fallen off) and got confused which one went where. I like the idea of marking the carboy so it relates with the card.

I drilled a hole in a clothes pin and attached a loop of thin rope. Now I just clip on the bag containing the instructions/labels/etc and slip over the neck. simple and works great.

cheers

i stick a return label on mine with the type, date and any modifications that I've made in case I'm too lazy to open brew trax.

I drilled a hole in a clothes pin and attached a loop of thin rope. Now I just clip on the bag containing the instructions/labels/etc and slip over the neck. simple and works great.

cheers

Great idea, Ron, I think I'll try that - I've just been rolling up the instructions and slipping them into the carboy handle but I like your method.
I also use masking tape on my carboys to record what stage I'm at with a quick glance.

Boatboy, for wine galsses, we use those little ring like things, with a charm attached, on the stem of a glass. The downside to this method is that one's ablility to remember which "charm" varies inversely with the amount of wine one drinks. Abount halfway through the evening, people are wandering around saying things like, "Did I have the Monkey or the Car?" Although not fool proof, many of my friends would have to drink a lot more to forget their name.

On my carboys, I have gen'd up a 2 1/2" x 5" tag with "variety," "primary date," "secondary date," "racking dates," and "additions/dates." I have this attached around the neck of the carboy with some light electrical wire for a quick visual. I also have more complete data in my PC in the wine area.

For wine glasses, I use a dry erase marker. I just have people sign the bottom of the glass and it just wipes off! Thing is great!

For carboys and DJs, I use stickers that are 3" by 4". Plenty of room to write the vintage, varietal, and date of last racking. If the sticker does not wash off, no worries, I just simply apply the next sticker over the last one!

A glass or china marker sounds like a great idea. saw some advertised in catalogs for biological lab materials used in schools. I have been using masking tape to record the variety of wine, the pH, TA and original SG and attached tags with wires to the neck of the carboys to record what process I had performed to that wine and when. I also bought a large sheet of plywood, sprayed it with blackboard paint and use chalk to keep track of the dates when I plan to rack, check the water level in the filter, or check the gravity, de-gas, stabilize, sweeten, add K-Meta or bottle etc. I have that board against a wall in the basement where I keep my exercise bike...so I see it every morning during the 8 months when it is too chilly to bike outdoors in the early morning.

For carboys I have been using shipping labels . They have a little wire already attached to them. For wine glasses we have a set of " wine glass charms".

RR

Last edited by a moderator:
I just stick a 2" wide strip of masking tape on the carboy. Peels off easily and goes to the next carboy at r acking time. Biggest problem with it is the notes on the tape never seem to get put backin the wine log. But don't concern me much as the finishes of the wine are all basically the same. Arne.

Here is a picture of my all my friends with their neckties. One of these things doesn't belong with the others ................. Have two more carboys that will fix things up soon.

IMG_1014.jpg

for wine glasses, we use those little ring like things, with a charm attached, on the stem of a glass. The downside to this method is that one's ablility to remember which "charm" varies inversely with the amount of wine one drinks. Abount halfway through the evening, people are wandering around saying things like, "Did I have the Monkey or the Car?" Although not fool proof, many of my friends would have to drink a lot more to forget their name.

My wife only uses one, I don't, so no confusion there. Only when we have guests who leave their glasses laying around.

I have been using Post-It notes to keep track of my carboys. They move easily to the next one when racking. I add notes with dates about the next steps in the process that need to be done also. This helps me to keep track.

I like your idea. I use 2x3 inch parts tags that are blank on both sides. The tag has wires that can be tied around the neck of the carboy. I write wine type, date pitched, when racked to secondary, degassed, stablized, each additional racking and any kmeta added. I have all this in a log book, but it is quick reference on the tag that is wired around the neck. Found them at a Staples or Office Max type store.

On my carboys I use name tag holders (the kind on a string that you wear around your neck) with the string shortened. In the holder I put a 2inch x4inch shipping label will type of wine and all the dates on it. Next time I just remove that label and put in a new one (I leave the back on so it is not sticky)

I use masking tape and just write on it with a pen. When I rack, I just peal the tape off and put in on the new carboy.

Duct tape with one end doubled over as a pull tab. I number the carbuoys and keep details on each numbered batch in a master notebook. It will NEVER come off by accident.

I just use a shipping tag... 4 or 5 bucks for 100, comes with strings to tie

Just tie the strings around the neck of the carboy, once you get a feel for it you can make them loose enough that they slip off and you dont have to rewrite them everytime you rack...

Back