Marechal Foch acid management question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stressbaby

Just a Member
Reaction score
I have 190# of Foch from my vines. Despite netting, raccoons and birds were consistently getting 10% per day, so after losing 1/3 of the crop to critters I went ahead and picked on Saturday. 68l must.

Briefly:
Crushed, destemmed, KMS per winemakermag.com calculator; submaximal calcium carbonate addition using double salt method with 1/3 of the batch, then remixed; pectic and Lallzyme EX; 3 day cold soak; now I'm at pH 3.09, 1.076. Will chaptalize to 1.090. My plan was 71B coinoculated with VP41, but the pH still seems too low for MLB.

Would you:
A. Use additional calcium carbonate to bring pH up to minimum 3.2 and coinoculate
B. 71B first, with sequential MLB inoculation in the hopes that the pH will rise to MLB-compatible levels
C. Other

Thanks.

I have 190# of Foch from my vines. Despite netting, raccoons and birds were consistently getting 10% per day, so after losing 1/3 of the crop to critters I went ahead and picked on Saturday. 68l must.

Briefly:
Crushed, destemmed, KMS per winemakermag.com calculator; submaximal calcium carbonate addition using double salt method with 1/3 of the batch, then remixed; pectic and Lallzyme EX; 3 day cold soak; now I'm at pH 3.09, 1.076. Will chaptalize to 1.090. My plan was 71B coinoculated with VP41, but the pH still seems too low for MLB.

Would you:
A. Use additional calcium carbonate to bring pH up to minimum 3.2 and coinoculate
B. 71B first, with sequential MLB inoculation in the hopes that the pH will rise to MLB-compatible levels
C. Other

Thanks.
Option A would be my effort.

I'd measure the TA and work it down while monitoring the pH increase. I target my TA and just shoot to keep pH in a window. Be sure to calibrate your pH meter.

If you want to move the pH higher as you lower the TA, potassium bicarb is a better option than calcium carbonate. You can cold stabilize later.

Latest posts

Back