Mango Wine Skins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiz

Reaction score
Anyone that has ever made a 5 gallon batch of Mango wine will appreciate the hours of mango preparation involved. About all the mango recipes I have found say to peel them. Has anyone made mango wine and left the skins on? If possible to do so would save much time and work.

You could try making a wine with the skins you peeled and see how it tastes. Most likely they would give an off flavor or something which is why all your recipes suggest peeling.

I might be wrong, but I think the skins would make it funky tasting.
As a kid, I would break out with a rash if I ate a mango with the skin still on. Peel it and I was okay.
Now I've grown out of it.

Here's the skinny as I know it. We have several different types of mango's here. Some have a sweet skin but most others have a bitter tasting skin so I peel them. Also when I did try to make wine with skins on most of it went to vinegar which tells me that the little beastie yeastie that makes vinegar out of sugar must reside in the skins or close to it. Yes I know it is a pain peeling mango's but in the end is well worth it. I have occasinally gotten away with not peeling but as I said it had off flavors and not the kind I would want in my wine.

Mark

Wiz, Yes Roatan Island, Bay Islands, Honduras. A Sailing cruiser turned land owner once again.

Midwest, I hope you got the round yellow Mango's and not the ones that look kind of like a cashew in shape as the cashew shape has the skin that is tart and turns even more so, but then again you might like that in your wine :)

Latest posts

Back