Mango Tango

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roatan_Mark

Reaction score
Ok the frist batch is on day 17 (total from first fermenter to primary). The airlock shows minimal signs of activity by bubbling every ten minutes or so. At what point would one take a hydrometer test to see if it is actually done fermenting? I don't want to open the frementer up any more than I have too! My guess would be when there is no activity at all in the airlock but how long would one actually sit there and wait to see if it bubbles again? Lol!

Ok the frist batch is on day 17 (total from first fermenter to primary). The airlock shows minimal signs of activity by bubbling every ten minutes or so. At what point would one take a hydrometer test to see if it is actually done fermenting? I don't want to open the frementer up any more than I have too! My guess would be when there is no activity at all in the airlock but how long would one actually sit there and wait to see if it bubbles again? Lol!

I usually wait between 4 to 6 weeks after I rack into the carboy. If you think fermentation is done, take a reading wait about three to 5 days and take another reading.

Not sure what you mean by "first fermenter to primary". My first fermenter is my primary fermenter (ie a pail). My secondary fermenter is a carboy.

I would have taken a hydrometer reading on the first day and about the 7th day. And the timing for the next one would depend on that last reading

Is it still in a primary fermenter ie does it have a lot of air space? Because I would have wanted it in a carboy with restricted air space by now.

Note that "visual signs of fermentation can be misleading", especially on day 17. Get a hydrometer reading.

Patience is a good thing for a winemaker, but only after the wine is protected in a carboy with an air-lock.

Steve

I agree with Steve. Its confusing.. If in the "secondary" (glass) take a reading now.

Can do. I just didn't want to wind up with a lot of airspace and have to refill with water when I transfer to the next carboy to rid myself of the large amount of sediment on the bottom. It was transfered to the seconday on day 7, this is fitted with an airlock and has been in there almost three weeks. I will take a reading later today to see where it is at. My initial SG was 1.097, when I transfered into primary it was 1.010 (after 7 days in [primary) and as I said has been three weeks now and looks to have slowed down considerably.
I already have lost about 1 gallon in the removal of the mango lees when tranfered out of the primary fermenter. So now this tastes good and I would hate to lose any or water it down. I know I have at least another two rackings to clear it up so will lose even more (I will be racking into another carboy for bulk aging)! But I do have another 10 gallons in two other carboys merrily bubbling away that are about three days apart from each other. I must add that I am on an island so bottles and such are extremely limited in choice or availablility hence the racking to another carboy on hand.

*Just a thought but from beer brewing I do NOT return the testing liquid back to the fermenter for santiary reasons. Is this acceptable to do in wine making?

As long as everything is sanitized I see no problems returning it vack to the carboy.

I've just transferred my mango over to secondary. I'm a little disapointed with the amount of solids settling out, but I knew this was going to happen. Out of a four gallon batch, it looks like I might manage 3 gallons or so. It tastes good dry and full of yeast so I guess I should be pleased with that.

Same here Jason. Lots of lees in my secondary as well. I do like the way it already tastes though and think the loss is worth the effort. Mango's are a strange critter and have a lot of solids that can creep right past a good bag or nylon pouch, it is actually amazing at how much gets by! I used a very fine mesh screen to filter through from primary to secondary and still have about 2" of lees in the bottom. But consider this, at least it is settling out! I was worried there for a bit about having to filter all of this must so I am happy to see that!

Same here Jason. Lots of lees in my secondary as well. I do like the way it already tastes though and think the loss is worth the effort. Mango's are a strange critter and have a lot of solids that can creep right past a good bag or nylon pouch, it is actually amazing at how much gets by! I used a very fine mesh screen to filter through from primary to secondary and still have about 2" of lees in the bottom. But consider this, at least it is settling out! I was worried there for a bit about having to filter all of this must so I am happy to see that!

It sounds like our batches are turning out the same. I also used a fine mesh screen. Next time I find some fresh mangoes, I will try a few things differently in hopes of getting a handle on the sediment from those slimey beasts.

Don't bet on it! I also used a nylon stocking and noticed that a slime ozzing out even through that! I think Mango's are just going to leave a lot of lees in the making of the wine. I do not mind tho as I tasted even the lees in the bottom of the secondary fermenter and it was still good and mango like. I will rack off this fermenter in about another three or ten days as the SG readings are still dropping. Just a 1/2 point a day now but it is still fermenting.
I think if we rack off of it as soon as it is done then there should be no problem with lees effecting the taste. I am just concerned with the loss of volume as I know I should top off the next carboy to within two inches of the top to make sure the wine doesn't spoil in the next 3 month rest and yes I expect a lot of lees to show up in that stage as well. the liquid is still slightly hazy but I can see it clearing up nicely, it just needs some more time....patience is a virtue that I am now learning at this late stage of my life!
We may have a second Mango season this year if storms do not create havoc on the blossoms just now forming again. September late / early October would be my guess so maybe another 15 to 20 gallons are in order. I have a local drinking water supplier on the island that sells me brand new 5 gallon PET carboys for 100 Lempiras! ($5.29) each so I can increase my storage capacity at least on the bulk side. Bottles on the other hand are the 1/2 gallon rum bottles I gather from my bar keeper freinds over time.... Wish there were more wine drinkers here, maybe I will start a new trend? Lol!!!!

Last edited:
I'm at 1.002 and still fermenting. I'm going to leave it on the lees for one week after fermenting dry to let the lees compact down some more. Maybe if you get a good 2nd season I will see some more up here before next year.

Most times no one counts on a second crop since it is too easy for the blossoms to be beaten off of the tree with wind / rain and right now the wind is gusting into the 30's! It is unfortunate but reality. Anyway let me know how it works as mine is about done fermenting and is settling out rather nicely now.

Fermentation is just starting to subside in mine, it was .995 the other day. This is my 1st go at mango, I assume it will have a nice golden color based on how it looks now.

Latest posts

Back