Mango, Pineapple, Lime Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbrown73

Clueless Winemaker
Reaction score
I was going to make another batch of DB for this year. Then I decided to split it and make two different fruit wines using my 3 gallon carboys as it saves my 6 gallon carboys for other grape wines.

So DB is DB, but I've already started the Mango, Pineapple, Lime wine, but haven't pitched the yeast yet. I was just looking for any tweaks as I had no recipe to start with and I've never made anything like this with this fruit and would like to catch any errors now rather than later.

The recipe I created was as follows: (including where I messed up)

I started this using the DB recipe as a baseline and then just changed the fruits. I messed up right off the bat as I topped up with water to 3 gallons before adding the sugar and fruit so now the volume is actually around 5 1/4 gallons.

* Started with 25oz RealLime Juice
* Topped up to three gallons of spring water. (whoops, should have done after sugar and fruit)
* (10) cups of sugar
* (6) 9oz bags of frozen Mangos (didn't realize these weren't 1lb until I got home :( )
* (6) 1lbs bags of frozen Pineapple
* pectin, nutrients, energizer
* Yeast is Lallemand K1 (not yet pitched, waiting for temp to drop to 72F)

I'm guessing the error I made will make the flavor rather weak, though the best idea I could find for how much fruit to add was I saw 1 gallon reciepes for both Mango and Pineapple wine that noted 4lbs for each of those. So I decided to try and split it using 2lbs of each per gallon. (well, except the Mangos were only 9oz :( and I topped up too soon)

Should I buy more fruit and add it now before pitching the yeast? Any other thoughts?

David, no one responded to ur post so I'll throw my 2 cents in. Your recipe looks a little week on fruit to me. I made 2 5 gal batches. Mango & a Bananna Strawberry Mango wine this summer. I used 10 lbs of Mango per gallon, they were free! At 7 months old is is becoming a great wine. We have used 4-5 lbs of peaches per gal which has made a fine wine. So more fruit or a F PAC later & you should be fine. Roy

Thank you. Maybe I will see if I can pick up more fruit today. Though I don't think I have another mesh bag as I used the two I had.

I will figure something how to try and raise the fruit levels.

Back