Mango grapevwine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your idea is fine. What kind of grape? I'm guessing a white, as it will meld better with the mango to produce a pleasing flavor.

Ratio depends on what you want. If you're looking for a mango wine with more body, go heavy on the mango. If you provide more info regarding what you're thinking, it's easier to offer advice.

Let me reassure you that you can go with pretty much any ratio and get a pleasing result.

Definitely a white, maybe a little Riesling concentrate - thinking 75% mango, 25% Riesling. Afraid I might not like straight mango. Also thinking strawberry mango.
I've never used mango concentrate just fresh fruit. Mango is kind of "light" on flavor. So is strawberry.
Here's something to consider in the future -
I made a strawberry. Nice but I was hoping for more flavor. I also made a mango. Again, nice but I was hoping for more flavor. Then I made a strawberry-pineapple. It shocked me that there was no pineapple flavor but knock-your-socks-off strawberry! A curious result that was not lost upon me. Then I made a mango-pineapple. Again, no pineapple flavor but knock-your-socks-off mango! Lesson learned. I think it might work with banana, also. Still experimenting. Use this information as you will.
Good luck!

Water, mango purée, sugar and lemon juice
* first check the pH. Our goal in fruit wines is pH 3.2 to .3.5 in the primary fermenter. next check the gravity, for 11% ABV we want close to 1.090.
* This product is probably thin, the mango juice I have looked at ranged from pH 4.1 to 4.81. Depending on how much lemon it could be in target, land not need correction with an acid. Lemon blends well with mango/ enhances fruity notes, curious how much. Clean juice I have has ranged from 1.060 to 1.086 which is really close to target for a wine. There is more water in it than mango.

* Yes I saw the suggestion about fermenting separate, on my part since I expect a thin juice. I would either ferment together and correct thinness once, ,, OR “fix” the thinness by adding a white juice concentrate as grape or apple to build solids, or banana. From the photo I can’t guess how many liters you have, on my part I avoid doing primary fermentations less than four liters/ a gallon.

Last edited:
I've never used mango concentrate just fresh fruit. Mango is kind of "light" on flavor. So is strawberry.
Here's something to consider in the future -
I made a strawberry. Nice but I was hoping for more flavor. I also made a mango. Again, nice but I was hoping for more flavor. Then I made a strawberry-pineapple. It shocked me that there was no pineapple flavor but knock-your-socks-off strawberry! A curious result that was not lost upon me. Then I made a mango-pineapple. Again, no pineapple flavor but knock-your-socks-off mango! Lesson learned. I think it might work with banana, also. Still experimenting. Use this information as you will.
Good luck!
what was your ratio of pineapple juice to other fruit juice?

what was your ratio of pineapple juice to other fruit juice?
In my pineapple-strawberry (1 gallon) it was 4 lbs strawberries, 2 cans crushed pineapple and 66 oz pineapple juice, cold-pressed organic from Costco. The others had just the juice. I think it works because pineapple "kinda" tastes like strawberry and it "kinda" tastes like mango. I think my mouth gets tricked and only "tastes" the other fruit.

- gravity is 1.090, ph 4.5. Think I am going to add some lemon juice.
My experience has been that lemon juice is not efficient at pushing pH downward. In taking mulberry juice at pH 5 with lemon at pH 2.4 I wound up with about 50/50. Since that batch I have looked at titratable acidity for guessing how much, but normally get the bottle of acid to finish the pH shift.
If your mango is largely water (ingredient one) it won’t take much to drop the pH.

Soooooo I started this wine on Saturday the 25th, checked sp grav today it is 1.000 - how can that be. Can it really ferment that fast, I mean obviously it did, but?/

Latest posts

Back