Mango & Coconut wine has a PH of 2.8

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mango Madness

Reaction score
My PH tester just arrived and it's at 2.8. Does it need adjusting? I had lemon in it and guessed it still wasn't acidic enough. I've since taken the lemons out. Didn't know the PH mattered til joined this forum. It didn't have that dry taste and wasn't really bubbling so I added some of that citric powder. Just by eye lol. Is the PH too low and what should i do if it is.

If you have active fermentation going on, you have to get rid of the CO2 from your sample or you get an abnormally low ph reading. I belive heading it or agitating your sample are ways to remove the CO2
Oh wow. Did you mean heating?

With carbonated lab samples I heat an ounce for 44 seconds in the microwave followed by stirring. Sample is then transferred to a RTemp heavy glass to cool followed by any testing.
Oh wow. Did you mean heating?
Your real pH is probably 0.2 units higher if you have active fermentation.
Yeast struggle below pH 2.8 and the risk of a stuck fermentation is high.

How is the fermentation doing? If it is working cross your fingers and if it is stuck I would raise the pH slightly (carefully).

With carbonated lab samples I heat an ounce for 44 seconds in the microwave followed by stirring. Sample is then transferred to a RTemp heavy glass to cool followed by any testing.

How is the fermentation doing? If it is working cross your fingers and if it is stuck I would raise the pH slightly (carefully).
Thank you. Bubbling nicely. How do I raise it?

Heated it up, stirred it and put it in a glass and same reading

The two ways we have access to are adding calcium carbonate (ground up limestone) and potassium bicarbonate (antacid). Limestone is slow reacting/ less flavor impact so my favorite. Bicarbonate reacts instantly so expect some foam volcano/ has potassium which can help pull tartrates out when chilled/ has potassium so bitter flavor notes can result if you pull it up more than 0.2 units.
Bubbling nicely. How do I raise it?
Bubbling, ,, you may have lucked out! High total acids has high flavor impact which we balance out by adding sugar (and sorbate). A weak ferment sometimes gets stuck letting residual sugar and one doesn’t have to balance as much after done. This is where art comes in, and five or six doses of patience.

Last edited:
Maybe too simple an answer, but did u calibrate it before first use? Similarly, when I received a new meter and used it right out of the box it was reading low. I calibrated it using the provided solution and voila...it started reading normal ranges. I used it in multiple samples just to be sure.

Latest posts

Back