Malolactic Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, I need your help/advice. I have wines that are about one month past primary fermentation. I’m concerned my Reds did not complete malolactic fermentation, so instead of paying to have them tested, I’m just going to add more cultures. This is where my question lies… What if I take a little bit of the cultures from each of the carboys and put it into the Chardonnay? I know it’s not the right amount of cultures however would it impact the flavor and smoothen it out just a slight bit? Typically white wines don’t go through malolactic fermentation however I do drink a few that do and enjoy them. I guess I’m just wondering if you can partially incorporate some malolactic fermentation for flavor?

Why don't you just get a ML chromatography test kit and check them? It's really easy to do.

To answer your question, you can do partial ML on the chardonnay. Just know that unless ML is complete, you do face some stability issues and it's not always easy for a home winemaker to do sterile filtration. Using wines that have active ML cultures growing in it can certainly start ML in another wine. If you have already added sulfites, ML fermentation may be difficult.

I’ve had issues with dry malolactic cultures and have stuck with ones like wyeasts malolactic culture and laffort b7 direct I find they work far better. I would recommend trying b7 direct if you can get it it’s like $20 and is fairly bulletproof when it comes to ph and sulfite tolerances and still completing the job.

I’ve had issues with dry malolactic cultures and have stuck with ones like wyeasts malolactic culture and laffort b7 direct I find they work far better. I would recommend trying b7 direct if you can get it it’s like $20 and is fairly bulletproof when it comes to ph and sulfite tolerances and still completing the job.

You've piqued my interest on these other cultures. Time to spread my horizons. 👍

Latest posts

Back