malolactic fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamsterjohn

Reaction score
This wll be my first time doing a malolactic fermemtation. Do I need to have the carboy toped off while its in malolactic fermemtation, or a little head space is ok until its over with. Thanks, John

Teamsterjohn said:
This wll be my first time doing a malolactic fermemtation. Do I need to have the carboy toped off while its in malolactic fermemtation, or a little head space is ok until its over with. Thanks, John

It is not a vigorous fermentation, so top it up.

Yo want to carry over some sediment as the malo lactic bacteria use this for nutient. You should have this topped up as this fermentaion produces very little C02 and there is very low sulfite levels at this time. Ive never heard of the EC1118 yeast not being used. I dont recommend using any sulfites as it can hider the bacteria. Check out the tutoarials for MLF as far as testing, they are very good and informative videos and can show you better then anyone could explain it probably.

Let us know how it turns out.

I always top mine off when it is going through malolactic fermentation or any time. Do not add any sulfites during fermentation and do not use potassium sorbate as a preservative when you bottle. It will badly effect the taste.

Be sure to stir it GENTLY a couple times a week to keep the MLB in contact with the wine. Be sure to keep the temp within limits of the MLB. Oxygen is the enemy of an MLF--get too much oxygenation going, and it might not finish. Be sure it's topped up just enough to leave a tiny bit of room to get your stir stick in to do the stirring.

Because you can't add your stabilizing dose of Kmeta until after MLF, you wine is susceptible to bacteria during mlf. MLF does produce a little gas to blow out some of the O2, but I wouldn't bet on it being all the protection your wine needs. Your best bet is to go ahead and top off the wine. If the type of wine and MLB is known to produce very much foam, you might want to watch it closer, but I would still top it off.

What is the ideal temp for MLF??
I had to move my wine which was going through MLF upstairs to keep it going.

Hans

I have a batch going thru it now.... Temp in the room it is in goes between 64 and 66. But I think up to 70 is fine. I just like to run mine a little slower. Mine is 6 weeks into it and expect a 8 week MLF. If you raise the temps it could be done in as short as 4 weeks.

What is the ideal temp for MLF??
I had to move my wine which was going through MLF upstairs to keep it going.

Hans

It depends on the MLB you choose and what its ideal range is. But typically, 68F and if it doesn't start or gets sluggish, move temperature up to 71-21F.

Latest posts

Back