Malolactic fermentation - To co-inoculate?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcorbell91

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a couple questions about starting my MLF. I am buying Carbernet Sauvignon lugs (24 brix fermented with D254) and considering co-inoculation with MLB to save time and make the steps easier. I have VP41 and OptiMalo ready to go, however, I cannot find Acti-ML near me (Ontario, GTA).

Does this forum have recommendations as to inoculating after primary or co-inoculation?
Will the absence of Acti-ML be an issue?

Any other tips and tricks will be highly apprecaiated. I will be testing for pH, TA and YA at crush, however, I do not have the facilities to test for the completion of MLF.

Thanks and looking forward to the replies,
Phil

I have done MLF for about 6 years now and haven't ever added Acti-ML, so I think it is a nice to have, might be required if your near the limits of your MLB.

The inoculation timing is one of the many ask 7 winemakers get 20 opinions questions. Many folks on here go with co-inoculation, timing it sometime after the start of fermentation. I think I have heard adding as soon as fermentation shows signs of starting, all the way up until right before press. I am a start it after alcohol fermentation ends, mainly due to that being what I have always done, it always has worked for me and the two to six month wait for it to finish doesn't cause me any grief.

Tips and Tricks, mine all apply to doing late inoculation and that's to gently stir once a week to keep the bacteria up in the wine, not resting on the bottom. I believe going light on metabisulphite at the crush stage applies to both and having patience. I always add oak at the same time as adding my MLB, I feel it gives the bacteria something to cling onto, while doing it's work.

For measurement, I don't use chromatography. Not a big fan of the chemicals and my grandchildren (probably a silly reason). I use the Accuvin test strips. I don't try to determine actual amount of malic acid, just is the color changing over time and is there less than there was last time I checked. I check after about a month, maybe two and if not complete, then not for another month or two. For my absent-minded way of making wine, it's what works.

I coinnoculate now and it seems to work great. If you don’t want to test for mlf, after racking off the gross lees check your carboys for very small bubbles you might need a magnifying glass to see them, also your airlock will bubble occasionally.

I have a question regarding a runaway fermentation that was co-inoculated with VP41 but got up to 95F, well above what is rated for the bacteria. Any chance I need to re-inoculate, or will it go the distance?

On another note, prior to this first ferment (my first real attempt with grapes where I can say I fairly well prepared), I read up on co-inoculation. Lallemand did a study that indicates more than adequate nutrients exist in the must without adding anything additional. Those seem to be relegated to sequential inoculation. https://lallemandwine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/WE4-Australia.pdf

Latest posts

Back