Malolactic fermentation in Marechal Foch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kartracer088

Reaction score
I have about 15 gallons of Marechal Foch(grown in Darke County Ohio) that I fermented and racked into carboys about 4 weeks ago, when can I start malolactic fermentation and what would be a good bacteria?

I have about 15 gallons of Marechal Foch(grown in Darke County Ohio) that I fermented and racked into carboys about 4 weeks ago, when can I start malolactic fermentation and what would be a good bacteria?

After pressing and your first racking (off of the gross about 3 days later) and before you add any sulfite is normally a good time to inoculate with MLB. Some folks inoculate just after pitching yeast, but that time has passed for your wine.

The type of MLB you select should be researched a bit based upon the conditions of your wine. The important factors are: SO2 level, pH, and alcohol content. Select a bacteria whose tolerances are below the levels of your wine for best stances of a successful MLF. That said, lots of us here have good results from VP41 and CH16, both of which have good tolerance ranges. Strongly consider using a rehydration product, as well as MLB nutrients, which will further increase your probability of success.

I use CH16 on my foch and have had great results. I normally will get MLF going a couple weeks after alcoholic fermentation. The longer you wait with low sulfites the more problems you are inviting

Back