Malolactic Bacteria

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushday

grape juice artisan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Posting a question to the collective:

Will malolactic bacteria multiply in the same basic way as yeast cells?

I’m asking for this reason: For my current ferment I have two packages of CH16. Each one is enough for a “barrel” on the label. I’m making the assumption that a barrel is standard 59 gallons.

Since I’m planning on coinoculating, I likely need to insert enough to accommodate for the amount of must required to fill a barrel with wine.

I have 140 gallons of must. I assume I can split the two packages between four batches, especially if the bacteria will propagate and multiply.

Anyone know?

Yes, if you inoculate the four batches you'll be fine. Malo might take slightly longer to complete than if you inoculated with a higher dose, but you'll be fine unless you have unusually low temp, high SO2 or high alcohol.

I've always used the estimated finished wine gallons as the requirement for purchasing the bacteria. If I remember correctly the CH16 is usually packaged by the manufacturer for 66 gallons, unless they've changed the packaging. You should be fine with what you have going.

I’m in the same camp as stickman, two packets suffice for 132 gallons finished wine, which is close to 175 gallons of must. You’re fine!

Easiest way I’ve found to split it up is during rehydration with ActixML. Following the process gives you a larger solution of LAB to split up by volume, just measure and dump.

Latest posts

Back