Malo question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HanksHill

Reaction score
Can Malo nutrients like Opti Malo Plus be added after bacteria is introduced? I rehydrated CH-16 in a starter nutrient (Acti Mali Plus) but didn't realize the full nutrient set should have been introduced at the same time. I have some on order but it won't be here for a day or two. Added bacteria last night. I still have some freeze dried bacteria in the fridge so could add more if I screwed this up, provided that wouldn't hurt anything.

I have no idea about the efficacy or peril of adding later. However, unless your wine is deficient in nutrients, I doubt the addition is necessary.

Until about 10 - 15 years ago, I never knew their was either a hydration or nutrient additive for MLF. I just added the dry bacteria (Viniflora Oenos) to the wine and it worked. If the grapes arrived in mid to late October, I was usually confirming ML had occurred before Christmas. Many who never add a commercial bacteria experience a natural MLF; although I understand it can be later occurring.

Currently I both rehydrate and feed my ML bacteria. I want to get my wines through ML and protected with SO2 ASAP. My biggest fear/risk is oxidization.

I have no idea about the efficacy or peril of adding later. However, unless your wine is deficient in nutrients, I doubt the addition is necessary.

Until about 10 - 15 years ago, I never knew their was either a hydration or nutrient additive for MLF. I just added the dry bacteria (Viniflora Oenos) to the wine and it worked. If the grapes arrived in mid to late October, I was usually confirming ML had occurred before Christmas. Many who never add a commercial bacteria experience a natural MLF; although I understand it can be later occurring.

Currently I both rehydrate and feed my ML bacteria. I want to get my wines through ML and protected with SO2 ASAP. My biggest fear/risk is oxidization.

Same regarding oxidation. Question regarding Viniflora - the amount you use for home-winemaker sized batches is miniscule - did you do the math on the 1g package to 66gal batch and measure out or did you over-innoculate? I measured out but it was so small it gave me pause. I have a 10 gal batch of Cab Sauv and 21 of Cab Franc.

Same regarding oxidation. Question regarding Viniflora - the amount you use for home-winemaker sized batches is miniscule - did you do the math on the 1g package to 66gal batch and measure out or did you over-innoculate? I measured out but it was so small it gave me pause. I have a 10 gal batch of Cab Sauv and 21 of Cab Franc.

If it were me, I would 1/2 of my package to the Cab Sauv and 1/2 to the Cab Franc. I haen't heard good things about trying to hold the bacteria over for the next year.

My batches are about 60L (I use 50 - 55L barrels). I wait until all my wines are ready for MLF, hydrate and divide the hydrated mixture. It's far easier than trying to parcel out small parts of a gram. Because of the short shelf life after opening and because my season is over for a year, I don't try to keep my ML bacteria. (Morewine supplies both Acti-ML and Opti-malo in sizes that match the addition requirements of the bacteria package.)

My answer: without a good scale, and even then, it's difficult to measure out a 10 gallon addition from a 1.5g satchet meant for 66 gallons. I do not think there is a penalty to adding too much ML bacteria; although, I would do what I could to get it close.

FWIW: I understand the small (1.5 - 2.5 gram) ML bacteria packages most home winemakers use are sized to add directly to a 225L barrel. I have witnessed this occur in a large commercial winery. It was crazy to see the cellar personnel climbing amount the barrels making the addition.

My batches are about 60L (I use 50 - 55L barrels). I wait until all my wines are ready for MLF, hydrate and divide the hydrated mixture. It's far easier than trying to parcel out small parts of a gram. Because of the short shelf life after opening and because my season is over for a year, I don't try to keep my ML bacteria. (Morewine supplies both Acti-ML and Opti-malo in sizes that match the addition requirements of the bacteria package.)

My answer: without a good scale, and even then, it's difficult to measure out a 10 gallon addition from a 1.5g satchet meant for 66 gallons. I do not think there is a penalty to adding too much ML bacteria; although, I would do what I could to get it close.

FWIW: I understand the small (1.5 - 2.5 gram) ML bacteria packages most home winemakers use are sized to add directly to a 225L barrel. I have witnessed this occur in a large commercial winery. It was crazy to see the cellar personnel climbing amount the barrels making the addition.

Ok thanks - that was my main concern - is there a reason NOT to add additional bacteria. I wouldn't think there would be, but I did notice on the package it said to pay attention to dosages. Guess that could be viewed as "don't add too little" as well. I have a fraction of gram scale and the amount for 10 gallons was so small I was skeptical it would be enough. I don't plan on holding on to it until next year so I suppose I will use the rest.

First to answer your question I don't think a few days will matter, in fact I usually wait a week or so before adding the Opti. As far as weighing and Acti goes I hydrate the entire 2.5 gram packet (I've never seen a 1 or 1.5 gram packet) with 250 ml of water and the entire 50 gram Acti packet no matter how much wine I have under 66 gallons. Then I use a syringe to introduce the proper amount. It comes out to be just under 4 ml per gallon if you're nearing the full 66 gallons. This year I had 59 gallons in 12 varying sized carboys and just do the math to get the exact amount.

Latest posts

Back