Male vine has grapes on it? Mystery!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregB777

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

In our yard are two grapevines that were planted about 100 years ago right next to each other. One is a female vine and the other a male vine. I think they are both Niagara grapes.

The female vine produces grapes every year. The male vine produces sweet-smelling flowers with pollen, but never produces grapes.

That is, until this year.

Something very strange has happened this year that I don't understand. The male vine has produced tiny little things that look like mini grapes. See below.

When you crack them open, there is very little flesh, but one very large seed.

Can anyone explain this to me? How has the male grape vine--- which has NEVER had grapes in the 20 years I've lived here--- now have weird little grapelike berries?

Thanks!

-Greg B

Attachments

• image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 23
  • image-3.jpg
    image-3.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 30
Plants can have local somatic mutations. And I suspect some of the male flowers had somatic mutations that created a primitive ovary, and thus a primitive "grape". But I doubt the seed would be viable (but if it were.... it would be interesting if the resulting plant created a perfect flower and be monoecious?). Plant somatic mutations can happen spontaneously (in which case you should find the issue local to one stem for example), or can be caused by environmental issues, like unusual weather at just the right time (in which case you may find the issue more wide spread and your female plants may have had stamens, but unless you looked for them during flowering, you will never now know).

Another option is this particular variety is not perfectly dioecious (males may still create a primitive ovary under the correct conditions).

Last edited:
Plants can have local somatic mutations. And I suspect some of the male flowers had somatic mutations that created a primitive ovary, and thus a primitive "grape". But I doubt the seed would be viable (but if it were.... it would be interesting if the resulting plant created a perfect flower and be monoecious?). Plant somatic mutations can happen spontaneously (in which case you should find the issue local to one stem for example), or can be caused by environmental issues, like unusual weather at just the right time (in which case you may find the issue more wide spread and your female plants may have had stamens, but unless you looked for them during flowering, you will never now know).

Another option is this particular variety is not perfectly dioecious (males may still create a primitive ovary under the correct conditions).

Wow! Thank you for the thorough reply!

I had no idea that grapes could be so complex.

In this particular case, the male vine has several branches with these weird mini grapes, so it might have more to do with a local environmental issue.

The female vine is having a bumper crop this season, the most grapes I've seen in 20 years. Maybe that might give some clue? (Or maybe the male vine is just jealous...)

If I wanted to try to propagate the male seeds, what would be the best method? I suppose I wait until the grapes finish growing first?

I've propagated vines from cuttings, but never tried to grow from seed.

(Or maybe the male vine is just jealous...)

Ah. Yes. That is the third option..... :)

If I wanted to try to propagate the male seeds, what would be the best method? I suppose I wait until the grapes finish growing first?

Treat them like any other seed. Harvest in the fall. Keep in a cool place over winter. Plant in good potting or compost next spring. I make garden compost from my post pressing off-casts (seeds and skins), and I always find some volunteer grapes growing in the garden from the compost (as well as some volunteer squash and tomatoes). While I doubt these seeds would grow... it would be really amazing if you got them to grow, and saw what type of plant resulted.

Are these grapes albeit several clusters on the same shoot? If so a shoot mutation may be another option.

In that case harvest those puppies whenever you harvest the grapes from the female vine and plant those seeds!

might get something neat next year!

Latest posts

Back