Malbec is stuck

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron0126

30 batches my first year, still learning
Reaction score
I started a Malbec kit on Jan 1. Initial SG was 1.110. Yeast was Red Star Premier Rouge. Temp was 72 (basement). The first three days went very well then I think it got too cold (62). I put a small heater nearby and went downstairs to check on it the next day ... holy guacamole it was up to 94 degrees and blew must out the airlock. Gravity was at 1.02 and I turned the heater off. The must came down to 74 and the gravity was now at 1.01. It stayed there for 5 days with zero activity in the airlock so I pitched some bloomed EC 1118. Three days later ... nuthin'

Advice?

I started a Malbec kit on Jan 1. Initial SG was 1.110. Yeast was Red Star Premier Rouge. Temp was 72 (basement). The first three days went very well then I think it got too cold (62). I put a small heater nearby and went downstairs to check on it the next day ... holy guacamole it was up to 94 degrees and blew must out the airlock. Gravity was at 1.02 and I turned the heater off. The must came down to 74 and the gravity was now at 1.01. It stayed there for 5 days with zero activity in the airlock so I pitched some bloomed EC 1118. Three days later ... nuthin'

Advice?
And you may be done..... Did recalibrated for the temp difference with your hydrometer?

Advice?
Is it still at 74*F, or did you let it go back down to room temperature ~ 62*F? You've got me scratching my noggin, EC 1118 can get about anything restarted. Humph...

This is a long shot, but try racking it to another clean carboy. It's worked for me for beer, haven't had to use it on my wine, yet.

And you may be done..... Did recalibrated for the temp difference with your hydrometer?
Yes. The new reading in the hydrometer would be 1.011 accounting for the temperature difference. My hydrometer is calibrated for 60 degrees.

Is it still at 74*F, or did you let it go back down to room temperature ~ 62*F? You've got me scratching my noggin, EC 1118 can get about anything restarted. Humph...

This is a long shot, but try racking it to another clean carboy. It's worked for me for beer, haven't had to use it on my wine, yet.
Yeah, same here. Very confusing. The EC1118 was over a year from its expiration and I had stored it in the fridge.

Right now the must is about 70 or 71.

I’ll try racking it again. Couldn’t hurt.

Looks like, at this point, your ABV is around 13.5%, your yeast can handle up to 16%, so it probably keeled over as a result of the 94F temps, its upper range is 86F. EC 1118 is a good bet to restart, if the nutrients and warmer temps don't get it rolling again, it may be having a hard time overcoming the 13.5% ABV. At that point, you may try kickstarting it by getting some 1118 going in some grape juice in a separate container, slowly adding some of your must to it to acclimate it slowly to the ABV and then introducing it into your Malbec. 1.011 is pretty sweet for a red wine probably intended to be dry. Hopefully, it'll take off with the steps you've already taken.......

Careful with the dose; you don't want have any nutrients left over after the yeast are done or they may feed something else you don't want growing in your wine.
I added 1/4 teaspoon for 5 gallons. Does that sound okay?

Looks like, at this point, your ABV is around 13.5%, your yeast can handle up to 16%, so it probably keeled over as a result of the 94F temps, its upper range is 86F. EC 1118 is a good bet to restart, if the nutrients and warmer temps don't get it rolling again, it may be having a hard time overcoming the 13.5% ABV. At that point, you may try kickstarting it by getting some 1118 going in some grape juice in a separate container, slowly adding some of your must to it to acclimate it slowly to the ABV and then introducing it into your Malbec. 1.011 is pretty sweet for a red wine probably intended to be dry. Hopefully, it'll take off with the steps you've already taken.......

Thanks John. Nothing appears to be going on in the airlock but it's at 1.006 this morning ... getting close! If nothing else happens, I may simply save it to blend with another batch in the future. It tastes very good and doesn't have a "cooked" taste so maybe it will finish up in a couple more days.

Advice?
I always have a hard time with premier rouge, but I love it...so I pitch it and if it isn't bubbling in 24 hours I will sprinkle half a packet of ec-1118 on top...its enough to kickstart it and the premier rouge takes over. I just had to do that to a batch of blueberry last week

the bench

Latest posts

Back