making wine the easy way

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willymuff2

Junior
Reaction score
i went to tesco and bought
4 cartons of grape juice
2 packets of sugar
a packet of yeast
and a 5 litre bottle of water

then i emptied out the water
poured in the grape juice
added a half a packet of sugar
and some water to top it off
then i added the primed up yeast

its been sitting in the hot press for 3 days now i cant wait to try it soon

ill put up a video on my website willygentertainment.webs.com soon as i can

should i have used more sugar, i used half a kg

Really hard to say on the sugar, when there is no SG to go by

I really hate to tell you this but this isn't "making wine the easy way" this sounds more like "making wine my the seat of my pants".

Heaven only knows how this will come out. You haven't said if you have taken a hydrometer reading to know what the ABV will be, you haven't tested for ph or acid. All you have going that I can see is a guessing game.

Making wine the easy way
Get a container of ready to drink 100% Welch's Grape Juice (not white).
Add one packet of active dry baker's yeast: Red Star or Fleischmann's to the container.
Screw the top on 1/2 way.
Wait a week.
Drink. (Strain first, if you prefer.)

Last edited:
The easy in your case is also the wrong way.

Get wine yeast. It will make all the difference.

Making wine the easy way
Get a container of ready to drink 100% Welch's Grape Juice (not white).
Add one packet of active dry baker's yeast: Red Star or Fleischmann's to the container.
Screw the top on 1/2 way.
Wait a week.
Drink. (Strain first, if you prefer.)

haha
Now that is easy.

i just copied this recipe but i heard the more sugar equals more alcohol
im gonna buy wine yeast next week online this is just a tester to see what its like

I am so glad you came to these forums. If you are willing to learn we can and will set you straight. In as non offensive way as possible I would say that what you have is much closer to hooch than to wine. However, if you want to learn to make wine you have come to the correct place.

First off, before I spend too much time trying to help you, is this something you would really like to do and spend some time on?

In as non offensive way as possible I would say that what you have is much closer to hooch than to wine. ?

seth, i was thinking EXACTLY the same thing...not wine the easy way, but cheap hooch....just something to catch a buzz off of....lol...maybe the equivalent of wild irish rose....not something truly enjoyable to drink, but more something to get you wasted off you A$$....

Lots of folks tend to start out this way, then after that 1st batch they are ready to learn the ins & outs of making it better and better. If he sticks around he will have a wealth of knowledge at his fingertips.

Hootch on, my friend!

hell yeah id like to spend time on learning how to do this, it seems like a great hobby
my first few batches are gonna be hooch though im thinking of doing the same thing again today buying more of the ingredients and making it just so i have something to do until the beer brewing kit arrives and the champagne yeast , my question is would it be a waste to use the same recipe with champagne yeast instead of bakers yeast or is there some other way i could make better wine ...?

seth, i was thinking EXACTLY the same thing...not wine the easy way, but cheap hooch....just something to catch a buzz off of....lol...maybe the equivalent of wild irish rose....not something truly enjoyable to drink, but more something to get you wasted off you A$$....

Sigh ... Now I am thirsty... :ib

hell yeah id like to spend time on learning how to do this, it seems like a great hobby
my first few batches are gonna be hooch though im thinking of doing the same thing again today buying more of the ingredients and making it just so i have something to do until the beer brewing kit arrives and the champagne yeast , my question is would it be a waste to use the same recipe with champagne yeast instead of bakers yeast or is there some other way i could make better wine ...?

If I were you, the very first thing I would do is read as many posts and threads in the beginners winemaking forum as I could, so you can see how it is done. Then make a simple Welch's wine by the recipe, or buy a kit for your first time and follow the directions. And go on from there.

I make all kinds of crazy stuff now, but first I had to figure out what basically the deal was and how to make it work right. Then it's time to be adventuresome.

A cheap wine kit will coach you through all the evolution stages the juice goes through to become wine. Well worth the few bucks, imo. Then you can decide whether to take that knowledge and branch into frozen fruit juices or bump up to higher end kits, juice buckets, frozen musts or even fresh fruits.

So much to learn, so many wines... so little time!

i just tried to pints of my wine in its 8th day to see if its even alcoholic and im pretty tipsy lol
i bought more welchs grape juice and made another batch with a pound of sugar and a tablespoon of activated yeast then put a baloon on top of it , i think i will do this with the champagne yeast too when it arrives and then take it from there

Nowadays, there are many people who really admire for making wine and I am one of them. Moreover, making wine is consider now as simple way of process for making a fermentation that the fruits turn into alcohol. As far I know wine have contains of many uses.

Last edited:
willymuff2 said:
i just tried to pints of my wine in its 8th day to see if its even alcoholic and im pretty tipsy lol i bought more welchs grape juice and made another batch with a pound of sugar and a tablespoon of activated yeast then put a baloon on top of it , i think i will do this with the champagne yeast too when it arrives and then take it from there

Nice you sound like me last year, drink on and get into it.. Learning and consistently making better "hooch" is a lot of fun.. I'd recommend investing in a hydrometer and further experimenting with what you can do..

Also, there's cheap alternatives to get most of the equipment/ingredients but a hydrometer and winemaking yeast are two things I've found you can't do without..

ive ordered both a hydrometre and wine making yeast recently but i just got probation so i am not allowed to drink for a year! its gonna be some quality aged hooch!

If I were you, the very first thing I would do is read as many posts and threads in the beginners winemaking forum as I could, so you can see how it is done. Then make a simple Welch's wine by the recipe, or buy a kit for your first time and follow the directions. And go on from there.

I make all kinds of crazy stuff now, but first I had to figure out what basically the deal was and how to make it work right. Then it's time to be adventuresome.

willymuff2,
The above is what I did. I bought an inexpensive wine equipment kit, which had a basic recipe book in it and then started soaking up all the knowledge I could on here.

Latest posts

Back