Making Wine Sweeter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonjames

Junior
Reaction score
I just opened my first batch of wine I made 6 months ago. I started with a simple juice recipie and only made a gallon. I mostly enjoy sweeter wines and what I ended up with was a very dry wine. Where in the process would I go about making it sweeter?

I just opened my first batch of wine I made 6 months ago. I started with a simple juice recipie and only made a gallon. I mostly enjoy sweeter wines and what I ended up with was a very dry wine. Where in the process would I go about making it sweeter?

Once it is done fermentating, stabilize then backsweeten. To stabilize add k-meta or campden tablets, whichever you use and than add sorbate. Then you could add an f-pack (do a search on this to find out how to make it) or you can take some of the wine, heat it up and add sugar to that, or I know some people who have taken Welch's white grape concentrate and used that to backsweeten with. Whichever way you do, taste, once you got it where you like it, take a reading so you can do it again.

Dag nabbit Julie beat me to this again. What she said.

What type of wine did you make? You have many options available to you.

I will post the my recipe tonight when I get home. Thanks for the info hopefully I can get the next batch to be sweeter.

Here is what I used, I got it from a beginner, how to make wine book.

Simple Frozen Apple Juice Wine
1 12 oz can frozen apple juice
1 6 oz can frozne lemonade
1 lb sugar
1 gallon water
1 packet wine yeast (champagne)
1/2 teaspoon pectic enzyme
5 campden tablets

Biol most of the water in a stainless steel pot and let it cool, covered. Boil the sugar with one quart of water and let it cool, stirring a little to make sure the sugar dissolves. Take the juice out of the freezer and let them defrost.

Sanitize the 1 gallon jug by swishing it out with campden solution. Crush one of the tablets as fine as possible, dissolve in one cup cool water. Place inside jug and shake around the jug.

When sugar water is still a bit warm, pour in jug using a funnel that has been rinsed in the campden solution. Add the thawed apple juice and the strained lemondade. The add plain cool water up to where the neck starts to slant upward. Add the pectic enzyme. Stir with a long wooden stick. Put in rubber bung with water valve and stour out of light.

In 24 hours add the yeast and put the rubber bung and stopper back on. Place in warm dark place for one month to ferment. After the first day you should see a froth on top of the liquid.

After one month you will need to rack it to another jug to get rid of the dead sediment on the bottom. the jug you are moving it to should be sanitized with campden tablets like above. Once done racking top off with water. Let it stand for two months fermenting to stop. You can tell if it is done by tapping the glass, if it bubble it is not done.

Bottle the wine into sanitized bottle with the campden solution above and let it sit for six months.

That is what I did to get where I am at.

Easy solution for right now, when you get ready to drink it again, either add a little granulated sugar to your glass and stir it in or make a simple sugar [one part water, 2 parts sugar and warm it up on the stove til all the sugar dissolves] to add to it. I have just added a little bit of sugar when the wine is too dry. Just sweeten to taste. You could also try one of the artificial sweetners if you don't want to add sugar. Arne

Latest posts

Back