Making wine racks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife is really keeping me busy during my retirement. This is my latest project that I just finished over the weekend. The first picture is the before of the new wine area. The second is the finished project. Final cost of materials including building new wall, wood, nails, screws, stain, polyurethane and brushes was right around $500. Took me about 10 weeks from start to finish.

Village Walk #2 102.jpg

IMG_20200125_142115566.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife is really keeping me busy during my retirement. This is my latest project that I just finished over the weekend. The first picture is the before of the new wine area. The second is the finished project. Final cost of materials including building new wall, wood, nails, screws, stain, polyurethane and brushes was right around $500. Took me about 10 weeks from start to finish.
VERY nice!

Very nice.

Started on my wine rack this past weekend - here's a pic of the base unit dry assembled in my workshop. Next I'll be putting together ladder racks to set on top of the base diamond rack. Diamonds are essentially 14" boxes which will hold a dozen standard size bordeaux or burgundy bottles. Dimensions are 104.25" long by 43.25" tall, and the rack is entirely made using 8-10' 1x12's. Basic concept came from "The Homebuilt Winery" with some tweaking.

I originally wanted to create a separate wine cellar by dividing our basement utility room in half that would have entailed installing a new wall and ceiling but my b3tter half talked me out of it. So, the compromise is to just make a wall of racks. It should work just fine but won't have the charm of a separate "cellar"

future updates will show the completed project. If anyone has specific questions, please feel free to ask

Attachments

• IMG_2068.JPG
    IMG_2068.JPG
    316.4 KB · Views: 100
Diamonds are essentially 14" boxes which will hold a dozen standard size bordeaux or burgundy bottles.

If anyone has specific questions, please feel free to ask

Looks nice!

I am a little confused about fitting 12 bottles... How are you planning to arrange them? I would have figured it would fit 16. I don't see a way for the capacity NOT to be a square (9. 16, 25...)

Looks nice!

I am a little confused about fitting 12 bottles... How are you planning to arrange them? I would have figured it would fit 16. I don't see a way for the capacity NOT to be a square (9. 16, 25...)
You may be entirely correct, but I haven't put it together yet (still needs to be varnished and brought in from workshop). I do have some prefabricated box cubbies that i had gotten from Lowes years ago; the square boxes measure 11-1/2"x11-1/2" and they hold 12 bottles but very tightly. Once I have things installed, I'll update my post

Really nice looking wine rack. Did you have a blueprint to start ? Like to get a copy if you had one.

I built this out of 2x10s for the sides, 2x4s for the horizontals (front and back) and furring strips for the individual bottle holders. Screwed the 2xs together and glued the furring strips in place.

Altogether less than $40, holds over 126 bottles, about $0.30/bottle. It's not much of a looker, but fits the "cheap and efficient" bill.

View attachment 58318
That is what I am thinking, except I will make each layer deeper and flip them upside down. I will put them together mostly using nail gun.

d_3M-YbUUVYkxq1yjavxB1MDUq_XBtf5tIn8gfImd_ztrqmWf2uS7NHupJtfo31xHcNGFBBDlFou1oLbg1UsMOp9myp22O5QX6U-jiOl6st6zAdiElQz-xVqMpjf6-PCDEmHOuYkU5mLo1V9w7w1dGrXkWJY1sg9UrvAW5MA3LHXEDLC9kRIQC0r102zMGGtzs2BdNjVJoYl3m7IhQrwt_eEG04vxmc7evw8-Bzjk3YXeXfESmGvNXXybfz7bHQKrvzaWJLIpk_UTRbuwZrY0c0vW5DGQb9fmwAz4o3ii-s28_KTCWBhlVGyqPW68EXT1E0twPdYaepiQk1cQf9K_xlxfYyw9McltE_5-nmkpq8M-eIq0Wc23hQGt_MKE1qWyPv4YkHOyaqDjR2po5T7Al5XNZMGEv3vMaspCQ15y68pC9bXN2deVkT4g4exJXnPGUjnlUecmD3vkgLzK99QDfzwfekDGD28LhAAKk56-eG6ZXLRGA4kZBJqfulJHHAkxKasxchDZw8oC68CYTA4uIoz8WV6aFyUccpZ11Fa3QGomMFh0rWuR9GuLSaLfoMpbejrf8NKLuX36e4dyDF6a6n6gj93y-jvd22kfNzKBSkSlpWbvojx_W_DRMDPoHJHh3_6KkR24ss5bHiKuTLR0jaugEFVD7bYBIv6G-FLBCssBdaEkWOaSw=w1744-h981-no

Two layers in, many to go. About 2-case capacity per layer, 4-case if double stacking.

Clever design, berrycrush, from a space optimization standpoint. Using the space "inside" the 2x4s to hold the bottles. Though, it looks like it would be a bit tight to slide bottles in without hitting the row above. Perhaps that's just the angle in the picture.

I built this out of 2x10s for the sides, 2x4s for the horizontals (front and back) and furring strips for the individual bottle holders. Screwed the 2xs together and glued the furring strips in place.

Altogether less than $40, holds over 126 bottles, about $0.30/bottle. It's not much of a looker, but fits the "cheap and efficient" bill.

View attachment 58318

I really like the look of this. I may have to copy it.

Took me a while to finish it up, but finally got my rack I to action:
E0EB804C-8AFD-4108-A0A6-60DB0C6A4075.jpeg

Not sure why it’s clocked. I’ll fix it later on my desktop.
Thanks for taking care of that @Ajmassa !
I noticed you brightened it up a little too.

You inspired me to break out Photoshop and fix that perspective:
(if only I was as good with the wood :rolleyes:)
I love the way it came out though.
They say woodworking is all about how you hide your mistakes.
There's a ton in this piece that are not obvious when you're drinking!
rack.jpg

(I'm leaving the original up for posterity)

Last edited:
Really nice looking wine rack. Did you have a blueprint to start ? Like to get a copy if you had one.
sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. I did not have a blue print to start. Just went with the measurements of the area, and designed the wine rack around that. The spacing of the cubbies is 3.5" by 3.5" with a depth of 11.5".

Latest posts

Back