Making wine racks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What tool do you use to cut the larger scallops in the back?
For the back scallops I used a 3” hole saw. When the pilot bit touched the side of the board I drilled the hole. Same on the front but a 1” hole saw. I used a drill press because it wouldn’t be possible with a hand drill.

Here's the drawings for the one I built. I will say it fits Bordeaux bottles fine, but if you get into the fatter burgundy it gets tighter, champagne does not fit at all. If going this style I'd suggest making a small mock up of maybe 4 squares and testing the bottles you want.

If using a jig to do the spacers/square bits pick a direction and stay with it, I did a few top to bottom, and a few bottom to top and now there's a couple of rows up top where they don't line up exactly and is really too tight for any but the skinniest bottles.

RCdJTxD.jpg

Cdx17gf.jpg

Looks great with a solid separator, more plywood but more sleek than all stripped wood. I just got the book referred to above- easy plans for how to put the jig together. That's what i really needed, i'll make a rack specifically for the larger bottles i have. The large part of my bottles are burgundy or hock, which need a rack. The bordeaux style are fine in my collection of milk crates. Even the liters fit 16 to a crate, and I don't have to build anything.

I am pondering a "ladder design": Two ladder like columns support ladder like shelves. Main materials are 2x4 and furring strips. There will be ample space too fit from Riesling to Champagne. It won't have the sleek look as many above but it is economical in terms material and labor. I am just thinking loud here.

Here's the drawings for the one I built. I will say it fits Bordeaux bottles fine, but if you get into the fatter burgundy it gets tighter, champagne does not fit at all. If going this style I'd suggest making a small mock up of maybe 4 squares and testing the bottles you want.

If using a jig to do the spacers/square bits pick a direction and stay with it, I did a few top to bottom, and a few bottom to top and now there's a couple of rows up top where they don't line up exactly and is really too tight for any but the skinniest bottles.

RCdJTxD.jpg

Cdx17gf.jpg
Very nice - what software did you use to make the drawing?

I like the triangles, lots of storage, minimal cuts. @FunkedOut what are the dimensions on your triangles? and what angle do you cut the ends? I assume 60º. How long are the diagonals? It's a nice footprint for the number of bottles... I was thinking about doing half of what you have done... tall and skinny. but would like the dimensions on the diamonds. Thanks.

I like the triangles, lots of storage, minimal cuts. @FunkedOut what are the dimensions on your triangles? and what angle do you cut the ends? I assume 60º. How long are the diagonals? It's a nice footprint for the number of bottles... I was thinking about doing half of what you have done... tall and skinny. but would like the dimensions on the diamonds. Thanks.
I don't have the drawings in front of me, but the side of each triangle is close to 19".
I used 3.25" as the diameter for the bottles when planning it out.
30º cuts.

100_1922.jpg View attachment 58301
I make these cheap racks. They're cheap because I use scrap wood. The backs and the slats can be cheap paneling cutoffs or damaged panels from Menards or Home Depot. The 1 x 1's can be cut from 2 x 4's or pallets. It is easier if you make a jig to cut the cross in the front end of the 1 x 1's. They are attached in the back with a single screw.

Attachments

• 100_1924 (2).jpg
    100_1924 (2).jpg
    980.8 KB · Views: 40
I got to the drawings and pulled all the dimensions you need to work out your rack.
Here they are rounded to the nearest 1/32":
Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 9.15.12 AM.png

You can just continue stacking these triangles as high as you want to go and figure our the height of side from there.
Top and bottom construction, I used two layers of 3/4" plywood because I built two individual tall and skinny towers first. I then joined them between a top and bottom piece that was full width.
Maybe not the best construction, but I'm just a hack.

Shooting those 2" nails at an angle without missing is for professionals only.
I'd buy some wood putty and a dark stain!

Speaking of wood and stain...
I sanded and stained each piece prior to gluing them.
Glue is a pretty good stain repellent/blocker.
I still tried to clean up excess glue as much as I could, but I had a safety net of some color underneath.

Danish oil makes a nice easy to apply finish that will not be too glossy and more than enough protection for indoor use. Wipe on, wait 15 minutes, wipe on again, wait 15 minutes, wipe off.

Here is the same drawing with the dimensions in decimal:
Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 9.14.27 AM.png

I have not made any progress on this. I had to order the trim for the front.
3 attempts and every time, they send the wrong product.
I have enough baseboards and window casing to redo the house, but not a single piece for the wine rack.

Anyone make some carboy racks? I believe that book has plans for those as well - at a slight angle to leave room for the airlock and racking cane access.

Cheers!
Johann

I built this out of 2x10s for the sides, 2x4s for the horizontals (front and back) and furring strips for the individual bottle holders. Screwed the 2xs together and glued the furring strips in place.

Altogether less than $40, holds over 126 bottles, about $0.30/bottle. It's not much of a looker, but fits the "cheap and efficient" bill.

20190416_203210.jpg

Latest posts

Back