Making wine racks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I just ordered this book. I had written the info from the youtube video mentioned in the thread, but I really need the full directions. I get distracted without them, but I have been setting up to do this. Nice work on the rack.

Thanks. I plan to make a full wine cellar in the next house so I kept the jig I made to make more racks. I remember when I put it together I wasn’t sure it made sense, but it worked out well.

Here’s my piece.
(not finished yet. still needs trim on front edges)

60* triangles.
Each holds 15 bottles.
The “half” triangles at each corner hold 6 bottles each.
234 bottles total.

AA3A65E1-7E2F-4D91-987F-B8F56D898DE8.jpeg

Getting close to $1.50 per bottle, including lumber, glue, nails, sandpaper, stain, finish, felt feet, steel straps and hardware to anchor to the wall.
Still cheaper than store-bought.

Best feature is the minimal footprint:
15” x 36”

Here’s my piece.
(not finished yet. still needs trim on front edges)

60* triangles.
Each holds 15 bottles.
The “half” triangles at each corner hold 6 bottles each.
234 bottles total.

View attachment 58218

Getting close to $1.50 per bottle, including lumber, glue, nails, sandpaper, stain, finish, felt feet, steel straps and hardware to anchor to the wall.
Still cheaper than store-bought.

Best feature is the minimal footprint:
15” x 36”

I like it. A lot. I never would have thought of that geometry (triangles instead of diamonds). Nice job.

Agreed! You “triangle” guys have really motivated me to incorporate this design into my cellar. I’m already planning it!
These all look great, so thanks to everyone for sharing!

Another random factoid (that is relevant to triangular 60 degree bins): If the row of bottles that can fit along one side of the triangle contains n bottles, then the total number of bottles that will fit in the bin is n*(n+1)/2. (This is called a "triangle number" In math. It is equal to 1+2+3+4+...+n.) The possible triangle numbers are: 1, 3, 6, 10, 15, 21, 28 ...

So when @FunkedOut says that his bins fit 15 bottles, that means there will be 5 bottles along each edge, as 5*(5+1)/2=15. Bordeaux bottles are about 3" diameter, so his bins are at least 15 or 16" on edge.

Random tip for anyone using mobile device or tablets on here (at least for IOS)

The ‘degree’ symbol can be found by holding down on the “0”.

45°+45°=90°
30°+30°= 60°

Carry on
You can also hold down "Alt+0+1+7+6"

To get an accurate size I placed 16 Burgandy bottles together and made a template leaving 3/8" on two sides for play. The dimensions on the template may not be exact but are pretty close. When I use the trig formula SSS the angle comes out to be 65.392°. When I use SAS and 60° all the sides come to 14". It may be possible the additional 3/8" is the difference.

Attachments

• Bottles on template.jpg
    Bottles on template.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 57
  • Template.jpg
    Template.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 54
Cool! I am on a Mac, and I just tried AJ's suggestion. It didn't quite work, as I got: º¡¶§. But then I recognize that the first one alone was what I wanted, º, which is just alt/opt+0.

Thanks, guys!

crazy. option+0 works for me too, but only on the number row above the keyboard. if i use the number pad it doesn't take.

To get an accurate size I placed 16 Burgandy bottles together and made a template leaving 3/8" on two sides for play. The dimensions on the template may not be exact but are pretty close. When I use the trig formula SSS the angle comes out to be 65.392°. When I use SAS and 60° all the sides come to 14". It may be possible the additional 3/8" is the difference.

Fred, I am not sure if there is a question here. If you want my opinion, go with theory over (flawed) experiment. Use 60º and make all sides the same length. The slop you are allowing seems appropriate.

Fred, I am not sure if there is a question here. If you want my opinion, go with theory over (flawed) experiment. Use 60º and make all sides the same length. The slop you are allowing seems appropriate.

Thanks, it was just an observation. I redid it this morning on a larger scale, 60 works and it only made sense it would.

"Rusty Nesmith, ... Used 2 x 4’s and 1 x 4’s. It cost around $20 to make and will hold 70 bottles.
What tool do you use to cut the larger scallops in the back?

Back