Quantcast

Making wine racks

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

berrycrush

Reaction score
Within a few weeks after moving into a new home with bigger basement space, I racked up a couple of grands of power tool bills between Home Depot and Amazon. To put them in use I am embarking on a wood working project -- making my own wine racks. I figured many people here had been there and done that, so I'd like to pick your brain, or your design. I am looking for simplicity and efficiency. Material cost wise I am looking at around 50 cents per bottle on the scale of above 200 bottles. What had you done? Any ideas?

Ct Winemaker

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
A0E071CD-EB64-482B-8386-3EE9B0FC92DA.jpeg A0E071CD-EB64-482B-8386-3EE9B0FC92DA.jpeg Here’s what we did. It’s a variety of old cases and crates from flea markets etc. We just brushed them off (cleaned) and then coated them with a couple of coats of plain old amber shellac.

Attachments

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
Within a few weeks after moving into a new home with bigger basement space, I racked up a couple of grands of power tool bills between Home Depot and Amazon. To put them in use I am embarking on a wood working project -- making my own wine racks. I figured many people here had been there and done that, so I'd like to pick your brain, or your design. I am looking for simplicity and efficiency. Material cost wise I am looking at around 50 cents per bottle on the scale of above 200 bottles. What had you done? Any ideas?
Here is a good thread on such racks: https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/finally-built-my-wine-rack.44954/

Because you explicitly mentioned efficiency, I will be biased and point you to my own 60-degree (Harlequin) diamonds, as @mainshipfred alluded to: https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/finally-built-my-wine-rack.44954/page-2#post-513850

FunkedOut

Reaction score
I'm no wood whisperer.
I am making a free standing wine rack for the living room; ~220 capacity.
It's gone over budget and behind schedule. I'm at ~$1.50 per bottle.
Just need to get some trim on the front to cover the edges of plywood.
I'll get a picture here soon...

montanarick

Reaction score
Here is what I made. Holds 90 cases and cost me about 600.00. the hat works out to about 55 cents per bottle.
Nice Job! I'm in the process of designing a new wine cellar and hope to get it started soon

montanarick

Reaction score
Congrats on the house and tools Greg. The simplest least expensive volume storage is the diamond racks. Make them 13" x 13" to be able to store Burgandy bottles as well. If you really want efficient storage make the diamonds 60 degree.
Are your bins 13" on a side - or are they bigger? also did you make at 60° or 45°?

Cellar Vader

Reaction score
Check out "The Home Winemaking Channel" on YouTube and find the video he made of the wine racks he built. He gives you the measurements too. I made these a couple years back entirely from 1"x2" firring strips. Dirt cheap, and they are quite efficient. You need to do a fair amount of ripping for the bottle supports, but it was actually a fun project, and again, I don't think I spent $50 on the wood. I made 2 racks that hold108 bottles. On that note, time to build more! Good luck!
(In the attached pic, the racks are just free-standing inside the 2x4 frame that I used to build my bar.)IMG_3917.JPG

montanarick

Reaction score
Check out "The Home Winemaking Channel" on YouTube and find the video he made of the wine racks he built. He gives you the measurements too. I made these a couple years back entirely from 1"x2" firring strips. Dirt cheap, and they are quite efficient. You need to do a fair amount of ripping for the bottle supports, but it was actually a fun project, and again, I don't think I spent $50 on the wood. I made 2 racks that hold108 bottles. On that note, time to build more! Good luck!
(In the attached pic, the racks are just free-standing inside the 2x4 frame that I used to build my bar.)View attachment 58197
Looks great - thanks for the info

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
How do you make the 60 degree cut? My circular saw only goes 45 maximum.
You only need to set the saw to 30 degrees. (90 - 30 = 60) Take a look at the detailed drawings in that earlier thread I cited.

franc1969

Reaction score
Thanks, I just ordered this book. I had written the info from the youtube video mentioned in the thread, but I really need the full directions. I get distracted without them, but I have been setting up to do this. Nice work on the rack.
the book “The Homebuilt Winery”.

Latest posts