making wine from Marquette grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank You.....I began to make wine about 4 years ago, and decided I wanted to try grapes that no one else has.... so I brought the Baco Noir 2 years ago and last year I planted a root stock of the Marquette and this year the vine is full of grapes and starting to ripen,.... The Baco Noir is grown in CA now w many wine makers using it to add a fruity notes to there wines,.................In my garden I have 50 vines all planted together - Merlot, Zin, Syrah, Baco Noir, Marquette, Port, and a few white table grapes.....I spray the garden once a month w "7" until the fruit begins to ripen.....So far in CA for 2021 we have had less then 4 inches of rain, where as in 2020 we had 40 inches..........Starting in Jan we had warm months through March......., but cool April and May days with very cool nights and gloomy mornings perfect for wine growing....In jan I root started more clippings of both Baco Noir and Marquette for more vine growing....................The main reason I decided to try to grow these 2 grapes is because.... I am in the holiday business of lighting homes for halloween and Christmas and I like to have my wines made by mid September.............Because the Marquette and Baco Noir ripen a few months before the others,... I pic them early with the correct Brix then crush and freeze until the other grapes are ripen, then I thaw and I co-ferment all my wine grapes together for 14 to 16 days..........I then do a malalatic Ferm for 3 months in neutral oak barrels and continue to age in oak for 5 more months, from there I transfer them to a cowboy and let sit for 4 to 5 months before bottling...
Very cool! What kind of numbers do you get at harvest: Brix, pH, TA, etc?

I have some Marquettes in full verasion on the ends of my rows. I’m in west central Wisconsin. Has me a little concerned.

I hope it works out. What are your usual harvest parameters?
I try to get above 25 brix and just started checking pH with a meter last year so I’ll have to check notes. Just worried black rot will take it out. My sabs are still quite green.

DD560EE6-90AB-467F-91C7-788CFD1518EC.jpeg
Well, I lost my first buds to a late frost, but some of my Marquette’s did come back, although only about a third had grapes. This is their third year, so first year of getting grapes. I wish they all looked like this! I’m hoping to pick later this week. I’m just glad the weather has stayed warm.

Very nice!

View attachment 78676
Well, I lost my first buds to a late frost, but some of my Marquette’s did come back, although only about a third had grapes. This is their third year, so first year of getting grapes. I wish they all looked like this! I’m hoping to pick later this week. I’m just glad the weather has stayed warm.

Login • Instagram make some great examples of natural Marquette semi carbonic. acidity is high but well balanced. If you can get you hands on some its worth having a look as to how they handle the acidity. 'Bateau' 100% semi carbonic at 10.4% alcohol so guessing roughly 21 brix at picking. i think all in all this is not a Big Wine grape. But Petite Pearl is and coudl blend very well for more tannic structure.

Login • Instagram make some great examples of natural Marquette semi carbonic. acidity is high but well balanced. If you can get you hands on some its worth having a look as to how they handle the acidity. 'Bateau' 100% semi carbonic at 10.4% alcohol so guessing roughly 21 brix at picking. i think all in all this is not a Big Wine grape. But Petite Pearl is and coudl blend very well for more tannic structure.
I saw a site Parallel 44 & Door 44 Vineyard & Winery - Wisconsin that advertised a Petit Pearl blend with 25% Marquette.. I blended some Petit Pearl into a gallon of Marquette. It was tasty. A little percentage of Petit Pearl mixed into Marquette goes a long way. I didn't realize how tannic Petit Pearl could be until I let it age for 1 year. Wow the tannins were heavy. I fermented it on the skins for about 2 weeks. I see why some places press the Petit Pearl grape fairly quickly, if not right away.

I have 25 Marquette coming at the end of May, and after a little research here I canceled my 12 Foch and switched to Petite Pearl. It’s gonna be tough waiting four years to make my own wine.

I plan on planting another 50 or so next year. They should be hitting full stride about the time I retire 😃.

I have 25 Marquette coming at the end of May, and after a little research here I canceled my 12 Foch and switched to Petite Pearl. It’s gonna be tough waiting four years to make my own wine.

I plan on planting another 50 or so next year. They should be hitting full stride about the time I retire 😃.
I made a 75% marquette and 25% petite pearl in 2017. It turned out nice. I still have 2 cases waiting in storage.

Latest posts

Back