making wine from Marquette grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After doing lots of reading about Marquette wine making, grape growing and my limited experience with Marquette grapes I've realized that its never going to be a big red wine. Too much malic acid for one thing, even with MLF it's still pretty tart, maybe because there's so much malic turned into lactic acid?. I've used potassium bicarbonate also to raise the ph, but it leaves behind the malic acid. Also have used cold to drop the tartaric acid but still too tart for me.. One yeast I want to try this fall is Vintners Harvest MA33, said to eat up 30% of malic acid and it also helps with MLF.
In the vineyard I am going to limit each vine to 30 shoots, 60 clusters( if I can even get that many) and make sure the clusters get plenty of sunlight, which supposedly reduces malic acid. My vines are mostly 5 years old, some only 4 years, I pruned to a top wire cordon this spring after letting the plants run wild on a high and low cordon system last year.
any one have any tips to share for making good wine with Marquette?

After doing lots of reading about Marquette wine making, grape growing and my limited experience with Marquette grapes I've realized that its never going to be a big red wine. Too much malic acid for one thing, even with MLF it's still pretty tart, maybe because there's so much malic turned into lactic acid?. I've used potassium bicarbonate also to raise the ph, but it leaves behind the malic acid. Also have used cold to drop the tartaric acid but still too tart for me.. One yeast I want to try this fall is Vintners Harvest MA33, said to eat up 30% of malic acid and it also helps with MLF.
In the vineyard I am going to limit each vine to 30 shoots, 60 clusters( if I can even get that many) and make sure the clusters get plenty of sunlight, which supposedly reduces malic acid. My vines are mostly 5 years old, some only 4 years, I pruned to a top wire cordon this spring after letting the plants run wild on a high and low cordon system last year.
any one have any tips to share for making good wine with Marquette?
Wood, are you still here? How did it go with the Marquette winemaking?

Just joe, this years crop is looking good, brix is at 16 now. I plan on letting the vines get overripe to help lower the acid. Since May I’ve tried some of last years wine and it’s pretty darn good. 2018 vintage is also good. I have to revise my earlier comments, I think done right Marquette can be very good. I’m going to make about 100 pounds into rose and then add the skins to rest of the grapes, should help a bit.

Just joe, this years crop is looking good, brix is at 16 now. I plan on letting the vines get overripe to help lower the acid. Since May I’ve tried some of last years wine and it’s pretty darn good. 2018 vintage is also good. I have to revise my earlier comments, I think done right Marquette can be very good. I’m going to make about 100 pounds into rose and then add the skins to rest of the grapes, should help a bit.
Thanks! I have 8 vines in my backyard vineyard and I am expecting to get my first real crop next year. I have high expectations for the grapes and I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying them.

I will have my 1st Marquette harvest this year. I am also concerned with acid. Would you mind telling me what steps you took from harvest until press. Im considering doing a cold stabilization.

I just had some Marquette wine from a commercial winery and I was disappointed in how “foxy” “earthy”, I’m not sure of the best descriptors to use, that the smell and taste were. I also have 25 vines that I’m going to start getting grapes off of next year and I’d be interested in any advice on turning this hardy grape into wine. I’ve also had some great commercially made Marquette, so I know it can be done!

The
easiest way to reduce "foxy" is to pick early, next would be to run a warm ferment and blow off more aromatic compounds. (this year will be my first pick, as a farmer I have liked the plant)
Interesting, in judging with a panel of three and club meetings and visiting wineries I haven't noticed foxy. T
I just had some Marquette wine from a commercial winery and I was disappointed in how “foxy” “earthy”, I’m not sure of the best descriptors to use, that the smell and taste were.

The
easiest way to reduce "foxy" is to pick early, next would be to run a warm ferment and blow off more aromatic compounds. (this year will be my first pick, as a farmer I have liked the plant)
Interesting, in judging with a panel of three and club meetings and visiting wineries I haven't noticed foxy. T
I agree, I’ve tried some that are a little sour, but I’ve never ran into this earthy, off-putting odor and taste. I’m going to assume it was an issue with the winemaker, because I’ve tasted others that were fine! I’ve also heard about a “flash” bath of high heat that’s suppose to improve flavor. This was discussed by Black Star Winery in Traverse City at last year’s Winemaking Conference. Not sure how easy it would be for home winemaker. I think the first batch I will just follow a normal process and see what I get.

I’ve been tasting my grapes everyday and there is no earthy taste at all. The acid is dropping nicely as sugar goes up. I’m pulling leaves every day trying to keep the clusters in sunlight. In a couple days I’ll start checking acid levels with a ph meter. My 2017 didn’t go thru mlf and is quite tart, 2019 and 2018 went thru mlf and is much smoother.

I’ve been tasting my grapes everyday and there is no earthy taste at all. The acid is dropping nicely as sugar goes up. I’m pulling leaves every day trying to keep the clusters in sunlight. In a couple days I’ll start checking acid levels with a ph meter. My 2017 didn’t go thru mlf and is quite tart, 2019 and 2018 went thru mlf and is much smoother.
Thanks for the info! Where are you from in Northern WI? I lived in Marshfield for many years.

I’m in Waupaca. Is the Marshfield Clinic as good as rumored? The doctors in Waupaca all seem to be the ones who graduated at the bottom of the class.
Yes! I worked at Marshfield Clinic (and Security Health Plan, their health plan) for 23 years. i miss the good quality care and having all the experts under one system. Waupaca is a great area though with the lakes! Stevens Point is pretty close To you and has a good sized Marshfield Clinic location.

Yes! I worked at Marshfield Clinic (and Security Health Plan, their health plan) for 23 years. i miss the good quality care and having all the experts under one system. Waupaca is a great area though with the lakes! Stevens Point is pretty close To you and has a good sized Marshfield Clinic location.
Is that clinic on the north side of Point near the airport ?

Wood, how close to picking are you? , the yellow jackets were telling me it’s ready to eat yesterday. Tested some Itasca at 1.100 a seedling at 1.000 and Millot at 1.086/ pH 3.54/ TA tbd
This looks like an excellent crop year.

I’m getting closer, I may pick half next week, and half a week later. I don’t want to rent a crusher twice so I’m hoping my riper ones hang in till the others catch up. The acid is dropping a lot and flavor is great. My yellow jacket traps are working. I also try to find any rotten berries and get rid of them. You’re numbers are really good, I hope mine turn out as good.

The vinters club had a post about someone on the state line selling everything for$900, this included a crusher. ,,,, PM me if interested.
may pick half next week, and half a week later. I don’t want to rent a crusher twice so I’m hoping my riper ones hang in till the others catch up. The acid is dropping a lot and flavor is great.
did a test pick of Marquette today, 1.090, pH 3.66, TA tbd. ,,,, this is a weird hot/ dry year
the seedling referenced yesterday with 1.098 had TA 0.77% (and was segregated since it did veraison the last week of July). ,,,, think I will cut out Frontenac and propagate more of “Novia Temprana” next spring.

Last edited:
Last year I got 15 gals of Marquette. Did the MLF and have been cycling them through a 5 gal oak barrel. It’s tasting pretty good now. This years harvest was a bust. Birds, late frost and some very heavy rains at bud break all affected the yield. Sabs and Brianna will be picked this Thursday and it looks excellent so far.

Latest posts

Back