Making sweet red wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colariu

Junior
Reaction score
Hello this is my first time making wine from grapes and i would like to make some red wine that is not dry. I understand i need to ferment to dry and add potassium sorbate to stabilise and then add sugar. I also plan to perform MLF prior and i did not find a way to backsweet (without using non fermentable sugars) the wine and perform MLF. I understand there a high risk to have a rotten egg smell if potassium sorbate is added after MLF.How can i do this? Thanks

Hello this is my first time making wine from grapes and i would like to make some red wine that is not dry. I understand i need to ferment to dry and add potassium sorbate to stabilise and then add sugar. I also plan to perform MLF prior and i did not find a way to backsweet (without using non fermentable sugars) the wine and perform MLF. I understand there a high risk to have a rotten egg smell if potassium sorbate is added after MLF.How can i do this? Thanks

Don't perform MLF and then add potassium sorbate to your wine. It will create the wonderful aroma of geraniums, not rotten eggs. The solution is to ferment dry, add sorbate, backsweeten.

Are you making the wine from a kit or from grapes? What varietal are you using?

There's a few options:
You can filter the wine to remove the yeast cells.
You can fortify the wine to exceed the yeast tolerance so it won't referment.
You can pasteurize the wine to kill the yeast.

Given the option to perform MLF or backsweet which is the preferred option to make the wine more approachable to the general non heavy wine drinkers?

Back