Making Reisling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Short

Junior
Reaction score
My directions dont tell me if I should use a glass carboy for a primary fermenter or a bucket. Does this matter. I am making it from Alexanders sun country grape juice concentrate.

Use a bucket as it allows much more 02 for the yeast to thrive on.

Like Wade said.

And use an oversized bucket so if the wine foams a lot it will not spoil your carpet......

Luc

thanks

How long in the bucket before I rack to carboy. I am new and the directions on the canned concentrate doesn't tell me this.

I would rack off at 1.015 or there abouts unless this is a kit and tells you otherwise.

Personally, I ferment all of my aromatic whites in the carboy from the start as I feel that it retains more of the delicate aromatics and helps avoid any chance of oxidation once fermentation slows down. If you do choose to go this route, just make sure to leave some headspace to account for foaming. I also do cool fermentations for lighter whites to retain aromas.

Thats why i always at least lock the lid down when the sg gets around 1.040 so that the C02 forms a blanket which will protect the wine for 02.

Back